What Size Cupcake Pan Would You Recommend?

Baking By Julie_S Updated 23 Aug 2014 , 2:27am by smile22

Julie_S Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 9

Hi All,

The size cupcake I'm trying to bake is bigger than a traditional home-baked cupcake, but not as big as a jumbo muffin. I'm looking to bake a good-sized cupcake - like the size you would see in a bakery, but not so humungous that it looks like a giant muffin.
Also, what brand of cupcake pan do you like? Calphalon, Wilton?
Thanks for any suggestions.

8 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 9

Most all the bakeries around here do the standard size cupcake. Easy to find liners, and it's what's expected. If you make a larger size, you have to charge more and then you're not competitive any more.

I never recommend Wilton pans for serious bakers. Chicago Metallic makes a decent cupcake plaque, or whatever you can find at your local restaurant supply (not craft) store.

bakechef Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 1:43am
post #3 of 9

When shopping for a cupcake pan, I look for something with good weight and a coating that isn't too dark.

I have a Wilton pan that actually works quite well, and I take baking pretty seriously. I am not generally a fan of Wilton, I find their products overpriced for the quality generally. They do have some acceptable pieces.

I've seen a few pans that seemed to have too much "flare", I look for sides without excessive slant to make nice tall cupcakes.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 2:58am
post #4 of 9

I have 2 of these pans and I LOVE them:



Annabakescakes Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 3:51am
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have 2 of these pans and I LOVE them:



I have 6 of these pans, and they are so amazing! I baked with the stickers still on the bottom of a couple of them (DH's fault! He told me he washed them all!) and the stickers still came off cleanly. and if you get dribbles on them, just leave them, bake, them wipe with a dry paper towel! They are so awesomely nonstick, I have never used soap, just spray, then sanitize.

scp1127 Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 8:07am
post #6 of 9

I use Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch exclusively. They have a standard top and bottom width.

If you are looking for the in-between size, change the liner, not the pan. When you start researching bulk liners, you will find the measurements.

I get my odd sizes from Charming Creations and The Baker's Kitchen.

My cupcakes are a little larger because I use the tulip cups. They are about 20% bigger than standard.

bakechef Posted 6 Jun 2012 , 10:58am
post #7 of 9

I agree with scp1127. I ordered some taller than standard baking cups from the Webstaruant Store, they fit the regular size pan, but are a bit taller, I like how they look compared to the standard cups.

Paperfishies Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 5:47am
post #8 of 9

I buy liners that are taller than the normal standard liners. I use one full ice cream scoop of batter and the cupcakes are a bit bigger than standard cupcakes but they aren't quite jumbo.

Vinmy from Staten Island cakes gave me that idea and it works really well.

smile22 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:27am
post #9 of 9

i would use the same ones you are using now. the bakeries add more batter to the liner so you get more of a larger cupcake the books all say half full but you can go a little higher to get that look 

Quote by @%username% on %date%