Floating Flower Tiers.... Sps Or Foam???

Decorating By Somethin-Sweet Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 10:59pm by CWR41

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

Have to make a cake with floating flower tiers...... Bride to be wants square tiers - 6,8,10 and 12- with round floating flower tiers between each one. Will it be better to use SPS with the 7" legs or foam? It has to be delivered over an hour away, and Id rather travel with it completely assembled. With SPS I know that wont be a problem (Ive traveled with 6 tiers before) but with using the round underneath Im undecided as to what will work best. Thanks for any advice!

4 replies
Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody???

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry but I just can't picture what you are wanting icon_sad.gif Can you post a pic of something similar to show us?

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 5

I'm going to be making a similar cake for my daughter's wedding in October using the same size square tiers as you.

After taking a class this week with a very experienced cake decorator in my area, one of the recommendations she gave me was to do square styro risers in between and transport unassembled. I may assemble the bottom 2 tiers for transport and then finish off the other 2 at the venue.

I am making sugar roses for between the tiers, so she suggested wiring them right into the risers, then carefully box them up separately with lots of padding. (making sure to take some extra flowers,,,just in case!)

I use bubble tea straws for support, so that is the main reason for not doing complete assembly before transporting. My oldest daughter was married last month and I did 10" square with rounds of 9", 7" and 5" and using the straws and same method of delivery outlined above, the cake was fineI (It is pictured in my photos) It was my first wedding cake and I was very nervous, but I was quite pleased with how it all came out.

I'm sorry I am not very familiar with SPS, so possibly someone else might be able to give you advice with that if you prefer to use that method.

Good luck with your cake! thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 5

It's one thing to travel with STACKED SPS tiers, but I wouldn't attempt to deliver ANY multiple-tiered cake that has foam separators or pillars that show. It could be a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't take the chance, and it's easy enough to assemble at the venue. If you're using Tailored Tiers Cake Display (or any styrofoam separators) similar to this:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=ED71F2FC-802D-F658-0D505D3CAD8EFE15&killnav=1
you can use the plates that come with the kit, along with the hollow "hidden" plastic rods inserted in the cake. The foam can be placed before delivery, and just stack the tiers where they go on the presentation table.

If using SPS with 7" legs, they can also be placed before delivery... it's easy enough to stack the tiers when you get there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%