Champagne

Baking By dandymom Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 3:30am by MissJoyous

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 50

Anyone here ever use champagne as the liquid in cake batter? I'm thinking of experimenting with it. Just curious if anyone here has done this and had success with it.

49 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 50

There`s a few recipes that use champagne as the liquid.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/pink-champagne-cake Do a search under the recipes tab ( located at the top) and you should be able to find a few more results. icon_smile.gif

dandymom Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:07am
post #3 of 50

Thanks so much!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:23am
post #4 of 50

I made a pink champagne cake once and it was awesome, very delicate flavor. If you want it more pronounced, add more champagne than what the recipe calls for.

dandymom Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:04am
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBelle

I made a pink champagne cake once and it was awesome, very delicate flavor. If you want it more pronounced, add more champagne than what the recipe calls for.

I'm thinking of experimenting with mimosa cupcakes. This beautiful weather here has me craving something sunny, sweet and tangy. I have a ton of oranges to use up and I bet they'd make a great curd. Omm nomm!

-D

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 50

Google "oceans recipe champagne cake". You will get a link to a youtube that displays the ingredients and method. It uses 2 cups champagne in the cake batter and more in the buttercream--I plan to try this as soon as I can get a bottle.

dandymom Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Google "oceans recipe champagne cake". You will get a link to a youtube that displays the ingredients and method. It uses 2 cups champagne in the cake batter and more in the buttercream--I plan to try this as soon as I can get a bottle.

I've looked and cannot find the link. Could you please send it to me?

BakingIrene Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 50

Sorry my typo. It's Oceana.

dandymom Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 50
Quote:

Sorry my typo. It's Oceana.

OMG thanks! I might make this tonight or tomorrow. I have a bottle of Asti just waiting! ::runs to kitchen to count eggs::

-D

dandymom Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:00am
post #10 of 50
Quote:

Im not sure if you had the chance to make this yet. I finally got to it today (it's been busy here with my kids) and I absolutely love this recipe! It has such a unique flavor and it stayed true to the type of champagne that I used. You really must use a good one because it leaves a strong flavor in the cake. I actually made cupcakes and they came out perfect. The French buttercream is divine! So, so so good! Thanks for this! It will be the base for several types of cupcakes for me.

<3

D.

BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:50am
post #11 of 50

D, I'm so happy it turned out well. Somebody posted a request a month ago and that got me VERY curious. I had a quick look thru the champagne cakes section on CC and then I went fishing with google. I haven't had a chance to bake this cake yet, but this recipe stood out for being a chef's personal specialty. Not to mention that it very neatly used up a whole bottle. I will be sure to use the most decent sparkling wine I can afford...or else I will use it with a local white wine that should turn out just as well.

dandymom Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 50

BakingIrene, I did use the whole bottle minus two sips leftover for me. I used a bottle of Asti Gionelli. It ran me about $12, so not bad. I also used it raw in the batter. I think this contributed to the fluffy texture. I shared these with my neighbors and family. Each one of them raised their eyebrows after the first bite and all said that it was not what they expected it to be...and then proceeded to devour.. This is truly a "grown-up" cake. My house smelled like a distillery as they baked....and for ours after icon_wink.gif As cupcakes, I baked them at 350 for 16-17 minutes. I'm not convinced that was enough time to bake all the alcohol out!

D

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 50

There used to be another recipe that members discussed here at CC. Original came from snarkybaker, who used to come here before her bakery became really big. Here are the links. Snarki's old thread and SCP's new thread. Thanks for sharing that other recipe and video. I'll add it to my folder and I'll try it one of these days.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=382023&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://www.sugarlandchapelhill.com/aboutus/

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=730232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=025d3138582b0c569c64e24ef3ace9f6

dandymom Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

There used to be another recipe that members discussed here at CC. Original came from snarkybaker, who used to come here before her bakery became really big. Here are the links. Snarki's old thread and SCP's new thread. Thanks for sharing that other recipe and video. I'll add it to my folder and I'll try it one of these days.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=382023&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://www.sugarlandchapelhill.com/aboutus/

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=730232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=025d3138582b0c569c64e24ef3ace9f6

Thanks for the links! I'm going to have to give these a try too!

-d

tibrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibrado Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 50

Help on this please.

I bought some champagne flavored sugar in hopes to add the flavor without adding additional liquid to a standard yellow cake recipe.

http://www.faeriesfinest.com/sugars.html
But if I were to go with the Oceana recipe, do you think I should still use the sugar and reduce the amount of champagne? Or do you think those two different champagne flavors may result in an off taste?

Thanks in advance!

dandymom Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 50

Tibrado, those look like fun sugars to experiment with. I would not add them into the Oceana recipe, though. It is a very potent cake and it really takes on the flavor of the type of champagne you use. I'm thinking the flavors could clash. Maybe try sprinkling some of the sugar on the top of a frosted cupcake and see how it tastes first.

HTH.

BakingIrene Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibrado

Help on this please. I bought some champagne flavored sugar in hopes to add the flavor without adding additional liquid to a standard yellow cake recipe.
http://www.faeriesfinest.com/sugars.html

Last year I spent some silly money on flavourings from different companies.

If you want champagne flavour, use the LorAnn. It's very true and concentrated.Economical in the ounce bottle and they sell droppers because these extracts really have to be dosed dropwise.

FYI the very best rum flavour is Boyajian. Not as concentrated but all natural. Super good according to the baking friends that I shared them with. Ditto for their maple and raspberry flavours.

In comparison, I threw out ALL the Fairies Finest extracts and sugars because I could taste chemicals (yes I'm a chemist). If there was a natural plant origin, then using toxic chemicals to extract is still a no-no according to FDA and CFIA regs.

tibrado Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 11:12pm
post #18 of 50

Thanks Dandymom and BakingIrene! How sad, I just got the sugar delivered to my desk when I wrote that post and was super excited. As it happens I did also pick up Lorann champagne flavoring as well, but it's an oil .125 oz bottle. Is that the same thing you were thinking of or is there an alcohol based extract?

BakingIrene Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 50

Three is only the one LorAnn champagne product. It is an oil which means that it will blend perfectly into cake batter, chocolate, ganache, etc.

Their fountain flavours are excellent and water based. Especially the black raspberry and mango.

LorAnnoils.com is where all the flavour info and many recipes are posted. I use the pineapple and pistachio routinely.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:22am
post #20 of 50

If you want to put champagne in one of your recipes, reduce it. I reduce it by 75% for buttervream. That's 1 cup reduced to 1/4 cup. Put it on the stove and in a few minutes... watch it, it will reduce. You lose much of the alcohol, but you are left with a concentrated champagne flavor. You can reduce it more. Now you have a workable amount that you can sub into your own recipes. The reduction will also take away any negative impact on the crumb because it is not an original champagne cake recipe.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 9:20am
post #21 of 50

Ooh I want to try make that youtube recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If you want to put champagne in one of your recipes, reduce it. I reduce it by 75% for buttervream. That's 1 cup reduced to 1/4 cup. Put it on the stove and in a few minutes... watch it, it will reduce. You lose much of the alcohol, but you are left with a concentrated champagne flavor. You can reduce it more. Now you have a workable amount that you can sub into your own recipes. The reduction will also take away any negative impact on the crumb because it is not an original champagne cake recipe.

Good tip!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 5:13pm
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

BakingIrene, I did use the whole bottle minus two sips leftover for me.
Each one of them raised their eyebrows after the first bite and all said that it was not what they expected it to be...and then proceeded to devour..
D

Your post is so cute! I can't wait to try this recipe and will make sure to leave two sips for me thumbs_up.gif
I just been holding on since there's always children in out gatherings and I don't think this is a kid's cake/cupcake icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 7:10pm
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

Your post is so cute! I can't wait to try this recipe and will make sure to leave two sips for me thumbs_up.gif
I just been holding on since there's always children in out gatherings and I don't think this is a kid's cake/cupcake icon_biggrin.gif

OK here's the official chemist's report.

Champagne starts out at 12% alcohol by volume.

The alcohol does bake completely out of the cake, leaving behind the fragrance and moisture.

In the icing, you cook the cup of champagne to 248F which also makes it alcohol free.

So there is the original alcohol in the 1/4 cup wine added to the icing at the end...but nowhere else. This is divided up by 12 servings. 60ml x 0.12 = 7.2 grams in 12 servings or 0.6 gram alcohol per serving.

The unique flavour of this cake comes from the live yeast that is present in the wine before baking.
This cake might not be legal for abstainers but it can safely be served to children.

Rosie2 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 50

Ahhh, thank you BakingIrene!! In that case I will make this cake for the whole family! icon_smile.gif ---but still save extra sips of the champagne for me though LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

dandymom Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:34pm
post #25 of 50

Thanks, Rosie! Next time I make this cake, I'm getting two bottles, one for the cupcakes and one for me!
I'm not sure how this recipe bakes up as an actual cake. The baking time is longer than for the cupcakes. I baked these for 15-17 minutes, you have to watch them so they dont over bake. They were potent and yummy!

D.

Rosie2 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 10:06pm
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

Thanks, Rosie! Next time I make this cake, I'm getting two bottles, one for the cupcakes and one for me!
D.

Ha,ha,ha! now that sounds like a better idea!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif I can't wait to try this recipe!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tibrado Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 12:48pm
post #27 of 50

can you add chopped strawberries into the batter without messing it up?

dandymom Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 1:53pm
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibrado

can you add chopped strawberries into the batter without messing it up?

The batter already has a lot of liquid in it and I wouldn't add strawberries, unless you feel like experimenting and have the money to do so, then give it a try. If you do, let me know how it goes!
What I plan on doing with this cupcake is to make different fillings...strawberry, orange curd (for mimosa) and mango curd, which I think pair wonderfully, depending on the champagne used. I plan on filling them and then frosting them as usual. icon_smile.gif
Are you making these soon? I'm excited to hear someone else's opinion of them.

D.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 1:56pm
post #29 of 50

This looks like an interesting recipe. I'll have to try it. When I made a pink champagne cake, my recipe only had 1/2 c. champagne and to that I added 1 C of pureed strawberries and it was delicious. Because I had champagne left, I made a simple syrup and brushed that on before icing with a powdered egg white SMBC that substituted champagne for the water to reconstitite the whites. It was all to die for.

dandymom Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 2:06pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

This looks like an interesting recipe. I'll have to try it. When I made a pink champagne cake, my recipe only had 1/2 c. champagne and to that I added 1 C of pureed strawberries and it was delicious. Because I had champagne left, I made a simple syrup and brushed that on before icing with a powdered egg white SMBC that substituted champagne for the water to reconstitite the whites. It was all to die for.

With this recipe using a full 2 cups of raw champagne in the batter, I'd be afraid to add the strawberries. The cake itself has a very distinct crumb and I'd hate to ruin it.
I've considered experimenting with the frosting and making an IMBC or SMBC. The recipe that this calls for is a French buttercream and it is truly divine. A full cup of champagne is cooked with the sugar. So so so good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%