Heat Resistance Buttercream Recipe Needed?

Baking By naiyyar Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 7:59am by naiyyar

naiyyar Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:38am
post #1 of 7

Hello CC experts,

Learning a lot on this lovely forum. So much info. its like a treasure found for me. I have some questions regarding buttercream.

1)I need a BUTTER cream recipe (not including shortening if possible) that can resist and travel in the heat. Its very hot in the UAE so would really appreciate replies from bakers coming from hot climates n deal with buttercream travelling.

2) I would also like to know how to get a smooth airless and bubble less buttercream. correct recipe, whipping/beating technique would be really helpful. I always tend to add more sugar for the fear of it melting so it is not as smooth when i make shells. would really be grateful if you guide me into this.

Thannnnnnx icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

If you don't mind the grittiness of the powdered sugar, then an all-butter with a lot of PS will definitely stand the heat. I would suggest 1 cup of butter to 6-8 cups of PS, with 1-2 tbsp of milk added. But this recipe will yield super sweet icing and is very gritty.
To avoid air bubbles, you need to fill your mixer bowl that the mixture covers the whole paddle, like almost to the brim. You can cover the top part of the bowl with damp cloth to avoid splattering.
Else, be a convert and use ganache exclusively icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

naiyyar Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:47am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much mclaren for your kind reply. Will definitely try these techniques next time. icon_smile.gif

Regarding using ganache exclusivley for covering and piping, do u know of any links on the internet or threads specifically on CC. But still I'll just search in the search option.

Thank u sooo much.

mclaren Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 7

Hi,

You can google Planet Cake, they are based in Australia, where ganache is widely used over buttercream. Good Luck!

hieperdepiep Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 7

When you do want a BC as your base, mixing melted (and cooled a little) chocolate, (white or pure) also firms up the BC a bit. The more chocolate and the less butter makes it firmer. You can choose half BC- half ganache. Ending up with ganache if you don't want any butter and a really firm frosting.

When you store your cake overnight in the refridgerator the inner cold temperature of the cake helps prevent melting as well.

But I am not from a hot climate, so maybe there are others with better advice.

fcakes Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

Is there a reason why you prefer an all-butter recipe? If not, Indydebi's buttercream recipe is great for the heat and you can't tell if it is all shortening... it tastes very good!

naiyyar Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:59am
post #7 of 7

Iv never tried making a frosting using Shortening or crisco coz iv heard and read that it tastes awful and greasy!!! Il try using dream whip in the frosting.

Its very hot here in the UAE so when i use a bit more sugar with the butter it stays well when iv taken cupcakes or even a cake to a friends place.

really thankful for all the replies. reading them is just like brain storming onself to try different options and ingrdients to get the desired result. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%