What Color Gel Do You Use For Your Gumpaste Rose Leaves?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 10:44am by Chellescakes

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 8:58am
post #1 of 7

I have leaf green but I was wondering if this is the color most of you use. The rose leaves I usually see are a darker green which I haven't achieved with leaf green. Thanks.

6 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 9:02am
post #2 of 7

I use veridian , lime and rubine .

Chellescakes Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 9:06am
post #3 of 7

Oh I should mention I use dusting powder then steam them to set the colour. If you want a little shine on them I actually use a cooking spray , sprayed onto them lightly after steaming. I also tint my paste a very light green to start with I use leaf green to do this.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 9:47am
post #4 of 7

Thank you. I tried to look up the colors of petal dust you use and the only one I can find is the lime green. We must not have them in the USA.

Chellescakes Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 9:57am
post #5 of 7

I use Barco colours they are actually South African but quite common here in Australia.

Veridian is a bluey green.A dark green with perhaps a touch of teal mixed through would be similar. Rubine is actually a reddish , burgundy colour , I use the brushed around the edges and a touch at the base of the leaf It just gives the leaf a more realistic look .
I hope that helps. I use the darker green first and then dust over the lime . then the edges with the red colour , however if your roses are yellow or orange , I use that for the edges.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:22am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for the info. The roses are white. The other flowers are white and pink stargazer lilies and small pink flowers. The ivy in the arrangement looks like it is white with green painted on the leaves. My friend gave me a picture of an arrangement that she wants me to recreate.

Chellescakes Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 10:44am
post #7 of 7

Sounds lovely , I love doing roses and Stargazers , You will find plenty of pics of them in my Gallery.

the best way I have found to do the Ivy is , to cut out a little a small template and lay it over the leaf if you need the colour in the middle of the leaf cut out the leaf shape smaller than the leaf you are covering . that way it is easy to get your leaves quite even looking.
I always put a small amount of orchid green cut down with some cornflower so it is really pale in the centre of my white roses as all white flowers have a touch of green in them if you look at them in real life.I also give them a dusting of white it just lifts them and gives them a bit of life rather than leaving them just plain from the paste. I also put a touch at the base of the lily petal too. And down the back vein.

I love playing with colour and doing leaves it is amazing what colours are actually in flowers when you start looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%