Samples At Farmers Markets

Business By cakespender Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 5:33pm by kelleym

cakespender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakespender Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 6:07am
post #1 of 3

I noticed at most of my local farmers markets that they offer samples. Do you ever offer samples? if so do you just cut up a cupcake or do you offer mini's? I'm thinking of offering samples and have taken my MarketSafe course so know what I have to do to be legal regarding them but just wondered how other sellers operate.

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

Your customers only need a small taste, one bite is enough for them to decide. I suggest you cut a cupcake into small pieces. If possible, put the pieces into small sample cups or wrap with small pieces of food safe tissue.

Sampling products is my pet peeve. Samples are meant to help people decide if they do or do not like a product. It aggravates me that far too many people think samples are just free food. I learned to keep the plate of samples covered, hidden behind other items. If a shopper expressed an interest in the product or I thought (after talking with them) that they may like it, I would uncover the plate and offer a piece. This method worked well, increased sales, and took the edge off my cranky attitude.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 3

Different jurisdictions have different regulations. At my local farmers market, individual vendors can't offer samples, there is a designated "sampling booth". Check with your local Health Department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%