Where Can I Get A Referral?

Decorating By Dezzie4383 Updated 4 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm by hobbycakes52

Dezzie4383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dezzie4383 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:07am
post #1 of 12

I posted yesterday needing someone in the Oklahoma City area to do a cake for my SIL's wedding, but I think my post was removed. Where would it be appropriate for me to post asking for cake-rs in specific areas of the country? I understand I may have posted in the wrong place, just hoping there is such a place on CC for me to be able to find someone quality who may not advertise! If there are any other websites that might be of help, I'd be so appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:18am
post #2 of 12

This may be a better place to post your inquiry:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-ICES/116566508546

Also, I typed in "cakes oklahoma city" into the search bar of Facebook and found the pages of several bakers.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:18am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie4383

just hoping there is such a place on CC for me to be able to find someone quality who may not advertise!

Google is your friend...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=oklahoma+city+wedding+cake+bakeries&oq=oklahoma+city+wedding+cake+bakeries&aq=f&aqi=g-K1g-bK1&aql=&gs_l=hp.3..0i30j0i8i30.4218.19398.0.20150.35.19.0.8.8.0.2887.11085.2j6j3j1j6-1j1j1j2.17.0...0.0.5IzySdmESzw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1ec32fd6d2b822f7&biw=1280&bih=657

Is there anything wrong with finding professional bakeries that DO advertise?

How would you know if someone was "quality" if they didn't advertise and you couldn't view their work?

Dezzie4383 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:49am
post #4 of 12

Thank you for those who posted with help.

Yes, I did try googling it. I was just hoping maybe there was someone on CC who was or knew of someone who was maybe a home-baker. Of course I would want to see their work, but I know that when I freelanced cakes, I didn't really advertise them, it was just word-of-mouth. Since her budget is relatively small, I thought perhaps someone who wasn't a big bakery (and had less overhead) might be able to be more within her budget. That's all. icon_smile.gif Just trying to help her explore all the options.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:

...I thought perhaps someone who wasn't a big bakery (and had less overhead) might be able to be more within her budget.

I thought so. It just rubs me the wrong way when people think they can get "quality" from a hobbyist over a professional to save money.

Here's a thought... if they don't advertise, they probably aren't legal.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:

Thank you for those who posted with help.

Yes, I did try googling it. I was just hoping maybe there was someone on CC who was or knew of someone who was maybe a home-baker. Of course I would want to see their work, but I know that when I freelanced cakes, I didn't really advertise them, it was just word-of-mouth. Since her budget is relatively small, I thought perhaps someone who wasn't a big bakery (and had less overhead) might be able to be more within her budget. That's all. icon_smile.gif Just trying to help her explore all the options.

From what I've been reading at this site it seems that bakeries are less expensive than home bakers/small private bakers.

hobbycakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbycakes52 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 12

To say only 'professional' bakers can provide better quality is to lump Walmart and the grocery stores into that same category. And I've tasted some bakeries in my area that produce lovely cakes but they taste awful.
Sorry...but I produce a quality product made with real ingredients and not a bunch of pre-fab shortening based icings that are so sickly sweet they rot your teeth before you can swallow.

As to the OP's 'lower overhead' comment, keep in mind that home bakers don't buy wholesale...and that if they have any talent at all, they will (and should) charge for it. If she wants to go the cheap route on cakes, tell her she will get what she pays for.

If she wants to keep the costs down, don't try to go for some elaborate design...keep it simple and use buttercream as the filling. And when I say 'simple' I'm talking about a smooth cake (buttercream not fondant) with perhaps a ribbon around the tiers and maybe a large flower at the base of the tiers...real flowers not sugar as sugar flowers cost more.

Also, Oklahoma does not have a cottage food law (it's being blocked by a rather influential bakery lobby). So any home bakers you find will be operating illegally.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 12

I've never had a customer who cared whether or not the cake I sold them was "legal" or "illegal". The cake doesn't change when the law does. In any case, I'm kind of surprised this thread turned down that road, after I genuinely tried to help this poster find a baker.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 12

They just took issue with the posters supposition that in finding a decorator who was operating "under the table" she could get a better deal. That's all., She hit a raw nerve.

Dezzie4383 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 12

I really didn't mean to start a firestorm. I was just looking for where I might find referrals for cakes. I can easily find the larger bakeries on Google, I'm not saying she wouldn't use one of those, just that it might be nice to have some options. I also didn't mean to imply that smaller/illegal/hobbyists always charge less or undercut or that legality wasn't a consideration or that SIL wants to take advantage of someone. Good grief! I put in my original post that she was looking for a simple cake and has a small budget. Of course you get what you pay for. But is there anything wrong with trying to figure out what avenues are open?? All I asked for was a place to get a referral. I'm not entirely sure why I was made to feel like a criminal!

3beautygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beautygirls Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 12

Here's a thought... what if you went to one of the community college or Tech school's that offer Baking as a program maybe there is someone who would be willing to do it for cost since they need practice?

hobbycakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbycakes52 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 12

Personally I don't know why you are feeling like a 'criminal'. Your question was answered and options given in a straightforward manner. No one's upset or accusatory. There are facts that most people are not aware of when they go looking for alternative bakers...and one issue is legalities!

The bride has every right to buy wherever she wants and from whomever she wants...she just needs to be aware of a few things. One, that if you buy from a baker that is not 'legal', you can be putting them and yourselves in a situation that could turn ugly...not saying it will! There's a 99.9 percent chance things will be great... but unless they produce a product from a commercial kitchen, you--and they-- are taking risks. If someone gets sick...well, you know our litigious society these days.

Another thing to consider is if the venue will accept a cake from an unlicensed bakery. Some don't. The bride needs to check that out first.

And you are the one that mentioned the overhead being less as a possible reason to pursue other avenues. I merely pointed out the fact that the overhead can sometimes be more in a home bakery situation as most have to buy retail not wholesale. And that talent should be compensated just as if it were in a large bakery.

These are merely the facts...ones I know you weren't even considering. And maybe they sound harsh, but it's certainly not meant to be. Confusing and frustrating sometimes, yes, but not harsh!

You also have to understand that there is a lot of frustration on here among bakers of all kinds with customers who want an Ace of Cakes extravaganza but want to pay a Walmart price. If the bride is on a budget, then she needs to think budget cake...which can be done with a simple design and less expensive ingredients. It doesn't have to look or taste cheap, but she needs to know that if she's looking for a 5-tier topsy turvy cake with sugar flowers, it's probably not going to happen for a budget price--even in a home kitchen. (I'm just using that as an example...I don't know what your bride is looking for).

So, that's all. No firestorm. Just some things for you to consider. You're a good friend to pursue all the options out there. Now you're even more informed! Whether you wanted to be or not! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%