Starting A Home Business In Pa

Baking By cupcake4321 Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 12:39pm by JWinslow

cupcake4321 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 4:47am
post #1 of 6

I am in the process of opening a cupcake business out of our attached to home 3rd car garage. I contacted the FDA and they said that I would need a written letter from my Boro stating that I can do this out of my home. The Boro said that I have to pay $700 and present myself in front of them and the community for a variance. They said that I am not zoned properly. I know that PA has the Cottage Law and my assumption is it should be favored by this. Am I correct? Also I not even sure who all I need to contact to get this rolling. I know that I do have to contact the Dept. of Agriculture. That is on my list of things to do. Who else do I need to contact? Do I need to get a license? My business name is named after my last name. Not sure if that saves on anything. lol Do I need to add sales tax to my products also? Thank you to all that can help me!!!

5 replies
SRumzis Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 5:41am
post #2 of 6

I'm in arizona, here you need to charge sales tax on the product total, but not on delivery and cake stand rentals (any service charges). Having a home business is ok here (I think!) and doesn't need rezoning as long as it isn't open to the public, as in you do deliveries only, and have little to no foot traffic (doesn't affect your neighborhood). That's how I understand it, anyway. Hth!

cupcake4321 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your help! I kinda thought the same with the zoning.

JWinslow Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 6

I believe the rules in PA can change from county to county. You might try contacting your county authorities for details. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?

cupcake4321 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 4:47am
post #5 of 6

Thank you JWinslow! I will have to do that. I have been getting a run around from my boro and they are driving crazy. I contacted the FDA before my boro and the FDA said they need a written letter from my boro stating that I can do this out of my home. I told my boro that, and they said if I would have came to them first they would let me get started. But they are not sure if I have to be zoned properly so they want me to pay $700 and present myself for a variance. I dont want to just fork out the money just because they are unsure! I am about 45 mins north of Pittsburgh.

JWinslow Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 6

No kidding, I'm in Erie. I know that run-a-around. I got it in NJ in a small town I was living in. "If you would've come to them first" - ugh! I hope it works out for you. I would think the county dept of Health would have all kinds of info for you. Hope it works out. Let me know "neighbor".

Quote by @%username% on %date%