Letter On Top

Decorating By holycannoli Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 9:07pm by kakeladi

holycannoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holycannoli Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all

I am very new to the cake decorating world and my coworkers are being extremely nice and actually ordering cakes from me. I have a coworker who is hosting a bridal shower and she wants a two tier square cake with a swirly "V" on the top square. I have looked online for a stencil. Can anyone provide any suggestions for the V?

2 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 3

A couple of days before the cake is due, I would start by rolling gumpaste into a long "snake". Begin curling the end into a swirl (may have to thin it out a bit by rolling it a little). Then continue to shape into a V shape (whatever size you want). Next roll the other end a little to thin it out and form it into a curl. Dip the tip of a toothpick into some water and stick it in the pointed part of the V. You may also want to put toothpicks on each side of the V. Let it dry, laying flat, for a couple of days. It should be stiff enough to stand up on the cake. If you can still see some toothpick once the V is on the cake, you can roll small balls of fondant or gumpaste to stick on the end of the toothpick to hide it. It also help stabilize the letter. Hope this helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 3

Maybe you can find a "V" you like on line and copy it to make your own stencil. Use freezer paper OR wax paper; make a paper the size/shape of the cake, cutting out the letter in the middle. Lay it on the cake and spatula smooth icing over it; remove the paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%