What To Charge For Cupcakes

Baking By chris2110 Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 11:06am by chris2110

chris2110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris2110 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

I am making 50 carrot cake cupcakes for a graduation and have to box and ribbon each individually. Just the cost of everything I need comes out to $100.00. What should I charge for my time and effort?

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 8

I don't understand. You took an order without giving the customer a price? Or are you doing someone a favor? (and just realized it's an expensive favor.) Depending upon the circumstances, you may not be able to cover your expenses. Depends upon the circumstances.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 8

You will want to charge at least twice your costs, which will come out to $4 per cupcake, you may have to charge more and tell them that the individual packaging is the reason.

but like Mimi said the pricing issue should have been discussed before the order. I don't understand why someone would even place an order without knowing the cost. The person ordering may think it's gonna cost $50 and will be shocked when you say it's $200.

chris2110 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 8

I did discuss a price with the customer but this was before she wanted them individually boxed. So I needed an idea as to how much to price them if I boxed them individually being that it will be more work.

BTW I am new at this so any help or suggestions would be a definite plus!

Thank you ladies!

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2110

Thank you ladies!

You are welcome, sir.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 8

I charge $3 per cupcake. If its decorated extensively, I charge $4. If I had to box and ribbon each one, I would probably charge $5 each.

Best to you !

JACrellin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JACrellin Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 5:39am
post #7 of 8

What if you found cheaper packaging? Like this idea using 9oz clear cups, clear goodie bags and matching ribbon for the occasion.

http://lisastorms.typepad.com/lisa-storms/page/3/

chris2110 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:06am
post #8 of 8

What a perfect idea! Wish you sent it in sooner icon_sad.gif I already ordered the boxes but I will definitely consider it for my next order! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%