Cake Pop Classes-Question For Those Who Offer Them.

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 2 Jun 2012 , 7:55am by scp1127

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!
For those that teach cake pop classes, When you teach do you do it the 'basic' way(box cake & canned frosting) or do you use scratch cake & buttercream? ...or a mix of both?

Also, do you teach how to make them from start to finish(mixing the baked cake with frosting, rolling, dipping, decorating)....or do you start with the cake pop 'dough' already made?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

I dont teach classes but I attended a ladies night out party at a truffle company in Wilmington, NC several years ago. We were to learn how to make the truffles and leave with a sampler pack (the evening also included wine and appetizers). I think we paid $40/person.

We started with "making" the truffles. They had chosen 2 flavors for the group of 10 of us to make. They had the ingredients made ahead of time. I was at the brownie table so they had premade brownies and a chocolate ganache binder. They showed us how they crumble the baked product and what texture they mix the "dough" to. Then we rolled them into the balls. At this point they brought out truffles that they had already rolled and were chilled to show us how they dip them. We each were able to dip 1 truffle (because the technique he used was way too difficult for what we were doing). They then showed us a sample platter of all of their truffles (how they were decorated) and we were given a sampler box of 4 truffles. And of course, we were allowed to shop their inventory for additional boxes if we wanted to. It was a fun time- if it wasnt for the wine and appetizers, I would have said that $40 was a little much. But it was a great time for my mom and I.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope22023

I dont teach classes but I attended a ladies night out party at a truffle company in Wilmington, NC several years ago. We were to learn how to make the truffles and leave with a sampler pack (the evening also included wine and appetizers). I think we paid $40/person.

We started with "making" the truffles. They had chosen 2 flavors for the group of 10 of us to make. They had the ingredients made ahead of time. I was at the brownie table so they had premade brownies and a chocolate ganache binder. They showed us how they crumble the baked product and what texture they mix the "dough" to. Then we rolled them into the balls. At this point they brought out truffles that they had already rolled and were chilled to show us how they dip them. We each were able to dip 1 truffle (because the technique he used was way too difficult for what we were doing). They then showed us a sample platter of all of their truffles (how they were decorated) and we were given a sampler box of 4 truffles. And of course, we were allowed to shop their inventory for additional boxes if we wanted to. It was a fun time- if it wasnt for the wine and appetizers, I would have said that $40 was a little much. But it was a great time for my mom and I.

Wow, that sounds like fun! It was also helpful...so thank you!

I am putting the details together to offer cake pop classes throughout the summer. I figured the costs of supplies & everything, and I plan on charging a fee of $35 per person.
I will provide all the supplies & guests will leave with about 1 dozen cake pops in a nice arrangement. I also plan to offer refreshments.

I make my cake pops with scratch cake & buttercream, but I can't decide if I want to do the same for the class or do more of the basic cake pop 101.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 6

If you do 2 flavours, then do one from scratch and one from the mix.

But whatever you do >>> DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR SPECIAL RECIPES<<<. Give out generic scratch cake and icing recipes that you downloaded from a source that you identify to your students.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

If you do 2 flavours, then do one from scratch and one from the mix.

But whatever you do >>> DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR SPECIAL RECIPES<<<. Give out generic scratch cake and icing recipes that you downloaded from a source that you identify to your students.

Good idea....and great point! lol Thanks

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:55am
post #6 of 6

And no alcohol without a license. Just a reminder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%