Rainbow Chip Recipe

Baking By HootersAlicia Updated 21 Jun 2012 , 11:29pm by KLCCrafts

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing cupcakes for a wedding luncheon (there will be a reception the next day with an actual wedding cake) and the bride only likes rainbow chip cake. I know, right? So I'm just wondering if there's a better way than just getting rainbow chip mixes. Should I just use it in the WASC recipe? Luckily I don't have to use rainbow chip frosting so I'm planning on doing something fruity since the groom only likes chocolate so that's what the other half of the cupcakes will be. Any fantastic ideas for frosting/toppings? I'm not filling them to keep them within their budget.

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies
pinkleslie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkleslie Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 5

I have been doing research on something similar since my best friend wants rainbow chip for her Wedding Cake! Working on talking her into the filling being rainbow chip and letting me cover it at least with traditional buttercream! Anyway....
This actually works pretty well and is worth taking a look!
http://www.piecelovecooking.com/2011/09/rainbow-chip-birthday-layer-cake.html
Good luck!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 5

You can either use the rainbow chip cake mix or add two to three tablespoons of jimmies (sprinkles) to your dry mix before incorporating the wet ingredients. I actually like funfetti and you can fill it with either just regular vanilla buttercream or bavarian cream/custard. There's something about the colors which make it tastier for me. icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 5

Jimmies are primarily sugar (coated with colour and oil to waterproof).

The link tells you how to make real white chocolate rainbow chips. Flavours may also be added...like rainbow ice cream which I particularly like.

Rainbow chips are dead easy. You take several colours of candy melts and chop them. Use dry cake mix or flour from your recipe to keep the pieces separate. Use a food processor if you like and chop with a few 1 second bursts.

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the link, pinkleslie! I'm all about trying to do everything from scratch, so it's fun to see a rainbow chip or funfetti replacement. Now I want to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%