Agbay Leveler? Which One To Get?

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 2 Jun 2012 , 4:48pm by tigachu

HannahsMomi Posted 31 May 2012 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 13

I'm not sure which size Agbay I should get. I do lots of 6 inch up to 12 inch cakes, but I also do some that are 14 and above at times. Will the larger one work well on the smaller cakes as well?? It's a tough decision! Please help!

12 replies
Lynne3 Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 13

I use my large agbay on the smallest of cakes.

Of course if I had both sizes I would use them, but the large one (although space consuming) does small sizes nicely

leah_s Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 13

I have both. The Jr is lighter, and easier to store, but definitely has a limited size. The larger will do everything the Jr will do, and big cakes also.

Are you looking at a single blade or double? I love the double, but use my single for some things also. i like to leave my double blade set to the heights I need to use with SPS. Although the Agbay is easy to adjust, I like to set it and forget it. Sooo . . . i have a single blade that I use for changeable height cakes.

leah_s Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 13

Oh and its the Best. Cake. Tool. Ever!!

yortma Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 13

I have the 20" Agbay. I LOVE it! The junior was not available when I purchased mine, but I would still buy the 20" if I had it to do over again. The 20" cuts small cakes beautifully, and can take care of the larger cakes when needed. And those are the ones that are so difficult to free hand! It was big and challenging to store in my stuffed cupboards, but I put a small wooden hat rack (with the 4 pegs sticking out) above the door to my pantry on the inside, and it hangs nicely out of the way. The Agbay is scary sharp, so I prefer having it out of reach, and it is protected from damage and not taking up useful space elsewhere. Enjoy your Agbay, it was one of my best investments!

BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 13

I have the 20", single blade, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

I don't make too many cakes larger than 12", but I just knew that if I bought the junior, I'd suddenly have a rush of requests for 14" squares icon_surprised.gif

I figured with the 20", I never have any regrets, and with the junior, a regret would pop up every now & then..................

Rae

HannahsMomi Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:48am
post #7 of 13

Wow!! I've gotten such great responses!! Thanks everyone! I think I will definitely go with the 20" now after what you all have said.
yortma, I love your storage idea for the Agbay!
leah_s, that is another dilemma....single or double blade. I think I'll just go all out and get the double blade. I do use SPS (due to your gentle persuading! : ) ), so I think it makes sense to get the double.
It's a lot of money to spend at once, but I know I will love it and it will be money well spent! I've been dreaming of having one for quite a while since hearing all the exclamations of how wonderful it is here on this forum. Now my dream is coming true!! (maybe I'm being a little dramatic!)

saapena Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 13

I have the large double blade Agbay and LOVE it! I can't imagine torting cakes without it. It is worth the money--you will not regret it!

scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:59am
post #9 of 13

I have the large double blade.

I store it in the box it came in. It still has the bubble wrap and it sits on the lower level of one of my stainless steel tables. It's also the exact size, like a custom case.

Apti Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 8:06am
post #10 of 13

This is killin' me! I want an Agbay SOOOOOOOO bad!

I'm a hobby baker and only make cakes about every 3 months or so. I rarely make any large cakes (even though I want to) because it's not easy to find a place that "needs" a 4 tier cake. I have a ton of cake stuff already, but as you all probably know, the need to "own" every cake toy in the universe is part of the caking obsession.

Please, please tell me I would be a fool to spend $230 on a large, single blade Agbay.

(I need to get my hideous bedroom carpets clean far more than I need another cake tool!)

scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 8:32am
post #11 of 13

Apti, my car payment is 3x that per month. It's all about what you want and how you want to spend your money. We spend our discretionary income on things that make us happy. Even though I really could have done without it in the bakery, I really do enjoy using it. The results are also neater than even a good knife and experience.

So just do it because you want it. It will last a lifetime, maybe even two.

HannahsMomi Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 13

You can add the second blade later, right? Maybe I should start with the single blade and then add the second one later....You know, spread out the cost a little bit...
I'm so excited about buying it and can't wait to use it on the wedding cake I'm making in July!!

tigachu Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 13

I purchased the large double blade a little over a year ago. It can level a 6inch cake with no issues at all. I am a hobbyist and I have no regrets. Best buy ever!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%