Recommend Pasta Machine?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 31 May 2012 , 11:12pm by DianeLM

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking into buying a pasta machine to use for rolling out small pieces of fondant (& possibly making my own pasta too) I don't have a KA so can't use the attachment, do any of you use a pasta machine for fondant & if so do you have any tips as to which is the best to buy? I've done some online reading into this but the reviews are somewhat mixed and I'm getting confused so any help much appreciated.

9 replies
Pinkacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinkacakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 10

What kind of cost are you looking at for the pasta machine? You can also get a clay roller. It works the same way as a pasta machine and you can get a manual one for about $30.

Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 10

I hadn't thought of a clay roller but I think a pasta machine would serve me better. I have The Mat and I hate it (one of my worst buys) so think the pasta machine is the way to go (for me). Plus, I would like to use it for making pasta too so will get more use out of it then the clay roller. Thanks.

Pinkacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinkacakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 10

I understand completely. So, my next question is do you want a manual maker or electric?

Keep in mind that no matter which you choose you will still need to feed your fondant, gumpaste, pasta dough and such through the machine more than once to obtain the thickness and width that you are looking for. With a manual device this means more bicep workout for you.

If you decide that you would rather not do the added bicep workout and would like an electric one you may want to look into investing in a KA and the pasta attachment. You would definitely get lots more use out of this combo icon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 10

I think I'd prefer manual, for some reason electric doesn't appeal to me although I'm not sure why. Re the KA there is no way I can buy one just for the pasta machine bc I already have a different machine I use for cakes so can't justify the cost and another point is that my kitchen is tiny & I'm already bursting at the seams with it so have to think big but buy small if you know what I mean!

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

Here's one from Walmart for a little over $40 shipped. You have to look into it and make sure that it can make a lasagna noodle unless you want spaghetti fondant. icon_biggrin.gif You may want a bigger one, this one is only 6 inches wide.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17461206?adid=22222222227014343804&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13698049750&wl4=&wl5=pla

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Amaco-Pasta-Machine/12347698

this one someone rated it 5 stars and said they use it for fondant.

Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 10

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pasta machine. I use it for virtually every cake. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pasta-Dough-Roller-Cutters-Best-Seller-Imperia-SP150-Motor-/190666253646?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2c6498254e

8 years ago, I paid $100. So it goes.

I would never, ever, for one second, consider using a pasta machine without a motor. Might as well roll it out by hand. Same for making pasta.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 31 May 2012 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 10

My husband bought me a Marcato with the Atlas motor attachment. Once I started using the motor, I never went back. I love having both my hands free once I feed the paste through. I also have the KA attachment that I use mostly for long pieces. The extra height is really nice. Either way, I prefer the motor.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 May 2012 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

My husband bought me a Marcato with the Atlas motor attachment. Once I started using the motor, I never went back. I love having both my hands free once I feed the paste through. I also have the KA attachment that I use mostly for long pieces. The extra height is really nice. Either way, I prefer the motor.

Right on! You can elevate your pasta machine on a stack of cake dummies or an upside down bucket. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%