Baking By Lynne3 Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 5:50pm by hobbycakes52

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 6

Many of the recipes call for

clear vanilla extra
butter flavor
almond extract

Could you please tell me the brand that you have found best. I am tweaking my white buttercream recipe and really want to get the brands right. Taste and color are important.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 6

clear vanilla is NOT real vanilla. You will get much better tasting icing using real vanilla. The *tiniest* bit off=white that you get from the brown color really won't matter.

Can;t help w/the others as when I was using them I bought in large (gallon) sized containers for my bakery.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 7:37am
post #3 of 6

Olive Nation has great extracts. That is all I use.

Vanilla, Nielson-Massey (I prefer paste)

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 7:11am
post #4 of 6

I like McCormick Imitation Vanilla Flavor Extract. Roundeye supply has six one pint bottles for $22.24. I will use Wilton in a pinch with a 40% off coupon from Michael's but I prefer the brand I listed above.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 6

Mexican vanilla.... don't use imitation. EWWW. If no mexican vaniilla is around you, Nielson Massey. As far as butter flavor and almond extract I use Watkins.

hobbycakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbycakes52 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

Ick to clear vanilla. It tastes artificial. I use the big bottle of McCormick's real vanilla extract that you can buy at Sam's. The price is about the same as the the regular bottle at the grocery store. A great value!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%