Novelty Cake Pricing...help!!

Business By ReezieCakes Updated 31 May 2012 , 4:45pm by ReezieCakes

ReezieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReezieCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 4:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I am an at home baker and (like most) I am guilty of undercharging. I just took an order for a fondant covered 2 tier cake that will have a (dummy) guitar cake standing upright. I know location and several other factors play a huge in role in determining how to charge, but any ideas on the average cost for this? Or does anyone know of any websites, forums, etc that are helpful in this area? I always say I'm going to start charging what I should and could be charging, but for some reason, that's the hardest part for me!!

Attached picture is the cake I need to duplicate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/help!!

Reeziecakes
LL

2 replies
cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 31 May 2012 , 8:03am
post #2 of 3

I always advise keeping a note of time spent. Start by working out how much you would like to earn per hour (within reason) icon_smile.gif This time also includes any shopping, putting in oven (not necessarily baking time as you can do something else) as well as clearing up and delivery time. If you make a 'time sheet' on a spiral pad of each cake(s) you make, a pattern will emerge over time as to how long typical designs take. It makes easy reference then when a new enquiry comes in to work out the labour costs plus the cost of the ingredients and box, board and ribbons plus any mark up. Obviously you must keep your costs within reason for your location. It seems to me from the conversations I have had with cake designers, that pricing and then asking for money is singularly the most difficult bit of cake decorating. All the design bit is a breeze! If we can just crack staying firm with price and getting what we deserve, any troubles disappear!!

ReezieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReezieCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 3

So very true!! I can makes cakes all day long, but I'm completely stumped when it comes to putting a price on my product. Thanks for the advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%