New Member Here To Introduce Himself!

Lounge By bakechef Updated 17 Jun 2012 , 4:17pm by megan_in_pink

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:31am
post #1 of 13

Hi there, I've been a lurker for a while.

I learned to decorate cakes in a grocery store, I have been doing it off an on for about 18 years. I am in no way as talented as many of you, but I am always looking to learn more and more.

I have a passion for baking, I have a personal baking blog after friends encouraged me to do so. I am always on the hunt for the best go-to recipe. I bake as all natural as possible, not organic necessarily, but more like your grandmother would have. I don't use mixes anymore, but I certainly don't blame those that do, I had a lot of bad scratch cakes early on.

I look forward to meeting all of you on this forum and sharing what I know and learning from you as well.

Glad to be here

Bakechef

12 replies
vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 31 May 2012 , 4:09am
post #2 of 13

Just wanted to say welcome Bakechef. Glad to have you here. I'm also lurk more than post. I am truly amazed at the talent of many of the people on this site.

clairesey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairesey Posted 31 May 2012 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 13

Hello Bakerchef icon_biggrin.gif

c
x

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 13

welcome!

bakechef Posted 31 May 2012 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 13

Welcome BakeChef - your background is very interesting. It will be fun to have you contribute to the ongoing discussions around here. As a former lurker, you have obviously learned a few lessons already and headed off the ol' scratch vs. mix debate..so let's see if you avoid the classic "how much should I charge for this?" mis-step and classic copyright infrigement morass.... Glad you are on board!

bakechef Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

I am strictly a scratch baker, but I do realize that not everyone is. I also realize that we have many extremely artistic cake decorators out there who aren't passionate bakers like I am, they may not find a lot of joy reading cookbooks and researching techniques, so cake mixes and doctored cake mixes provide easy consistent results.

I'll offer advise where I can, but try not to be high and mighty or pretentious about baking. I am also willing to learn as much as possible!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:18am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

I am strictly a scratch baker, but I do realize that not everyone is. I also realize that we have many extremely artistic cake decorators out there who aren't passionate bakers like I am, they may not find a lot of joy reading cookbooks and researching techniques, so cake mixes and doctored cake mixes provide easy consistent results.

I'll offer advise where I can, but try not to be high and mighty or pretentious about baking. I am also willing to learn as much as possible!

ME ME ME!!! I love to decorate, and don't mind throwing a few mixes in a bowl, lol! Actually, I don't mind measuring and sifting, and creaming, I just can't bake a cake from scratch that tastes as good as my doctored,( but not WASC! icon_razz.gif ) "recipe". I am glad some people can, but I can't, and that's all okay with me. I really don't appreciate the snooty, better-than-you scratch bakers, though! I do bake my gluten free from scratch, but don't give a fig if someone uses a mix.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 13

Greetings and welcome, bakechef! Your blog (both writing and photos) are lovely. Thank you for posting the link.

bakechef Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Greetings and welcome, bakechef! Your blog (both writing and photos) are lovely. Thank you for posting the link.

Thanks for the compliment, after checking out your site, that means a lot!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 13

Welcome, Bakechef! You have a great blog with beautiful pictures!

bakechef Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Welcome, Bakechef! You have a great blog with beautiful pictures!

My two hobbies are baking and taking pictures (I'm a better baker than photographer), and two hobbies like this were just begging for a blog!

Thanks!

megan_in_pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan_in_pink Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 13

Hi I am Megan

I am pretty new arond here.I am starting to decoratecake again and this time it is with fondant.

Can I just ask silly question? I mam trying to use the gallery, but it seems to be having alot of problems this weekend. Is that normal?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%