How To Make A Flower Arrangement On Cake Top?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 31 May 2012 , 1:19am by kakeladi

Britterfly Posted 30 May 2012 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

How do you make these flower arrangements on the top of cakes? like in the photo below...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/72594/country-girl.

Are there different ways of making these arrangements depending on the type of flowers being used? Whether it is real, fake/fabric, or gum paste/fondant flowers. What do you put underneath the flowers to make them stand up instead of lay flat?

3 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2012 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 4

Most people use a styrofoam base. The flowers in the picture are real but I prefer not put real flowers on a cake because I have no idea if the flowers were treated. Cover the styrofoam in press and seal or fondant or something and then insert your flowers (real or gumpaste on toothpicks)

Does that make sense?

icer101 Posted 30 May 2012 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 4

You can cover you half ball of styrofoam with fondant. I usually cover it in green, That way, it blends in with the green leaves, etc. hth

kakeladi Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:19am
post #4 of 4

Yes, as mentioned the flowers in your sample pix are fresh so they look different than icing flowers would.
I like to use a cupcake, or 1/2 mini ball cake covered w/icing (depending on what icing the cake is covered in fondant or b'cream) before applying icing flowers.
IF fresh flowers are used (seldom!) then use a 1/2 ball of styrofoam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%