How Do I Get This Look??

Decorating By kakealicious Updated 31 May 2012 , 5:51pm by BlakesCakes

kakealicious Posted 30 May 2012 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

How do you think I can get this look for the bottom square tier? Do you think the cake was carved like that and then the lavender fondant added to look like a lid? Or is this lid a separte piece from the cake? Please help!
LL

9 replies
kakealicious Posted 30 May 2012 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 10

anyone? please?

cowie Posted 30 May 2012 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

I have never done a cake like this, however, if I was to make this I would make the square bottom tier and use a seperate pc of fondant to cover the top to make it look like a lid, I would just use a thicker fondant to make it stand out and look like it is bigger. Hope that helps.

SCCB Posted 30 May 2012 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 10

It looks to me like the edges were shaved to that shape and then the fondant was added to it. I don't know if they make square pans with that rounded edge, but if they do, they could have used it to bake the cake. HTH

mburkett Posted 30 May 2012 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 10

Saw this type of box in SugarEd's video (Boxes & Bows). Fondant over top then trimmed with straight edge.

icer101 Posted 30 May 2012 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 10

HI, Mburkett , is correct. covered sq. cake, then fondant piece put on top and trimmed with x-acto knife, use your ruler to guide the knife for clean edges.

kakealicious Posted 30 May 2012 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks all! Never thought that it might be a specialty baking pan too!

BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:09am
post #8 of 10

Doubt it's a "special pan"...........more likely the result of not having a crisp edge on the cake before applying the fondant and then putting a 2nd layer of fondant on it. It really rounds the edges a lot.

I do my boxes using panels of fondant, 4 sides one color, 1 top for the lid color. I then cut 4 long strips of the top color and make the edges. I like the results.

Just another option.
Rae

cowie Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 10

Blakescakes - How did you get the detail in the ribbon? Looks so pretty!

BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie

Blakescakes - How did you get the detail in the ribbon? Looks so pretty!

I have First Impressions bead molds and this is the ultra mini. For the bow loops, I made the loops and added the detail. For the long ribbons, I put the ribbon on the box and then added the detail.

You could also pipe it with a #1 or #2 tip, but that's a WHOLE lot of effort.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%