I Feel Horrible, My First Accident On A Cake..

Decorating By sole_ve Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 3:04pm by BakingIrene

sole_ve Posted 30 May 2012 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I feel horrible! so sad! icon_cry.gif
I have my first accident on a cake after delivery.

I usually give the cake without any box, sometimes are so big that I can find a box to delivery the cake.

This costumer was a friend of my best friend. So I don't make character cake for people that I don't know you know for the rights etc etc

But the case was She wants a Mickey Mouse Face cake like the picture she found in internet ( I have seen many cake like this in CC) BTW Thanks for your tutorial and help for this cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways, when she came to pick it up the cake and after said "...Oh it is perfect thanks.." she ask me.."... where is the box? I would like have the cake with a box because I do not want anything touch the cake.."

I said I usually not have a box for cake, but I can still "wrap it" for you, and then we put cellophane and cover the cake.. I did that..and she was a bit upset about the box.

A couple hours later a received a email.. that some decorations were falling down..the buttercream "balls" around the cake. Oh my!, and she sent me a picture of that.. and the email said:

"I'm a little upset the packaging did not hold well, by the time we got home, quite a lot of the red balls split apart as you can see in the picture, if not for the cellophane packaging most of the balls would have fallen off

Am not sure how I will transport the cake to their to the school tomorrow as I need to drive and I suspect the damage will be more

I guess much cannot be done now, but I wanted to let you know for future cakes please ensure you can deliver the cake in a cake box using a cake cardboard base that will hold the decoration firmly unlike the plastic one you have used.."

I usually use carboard foam to place the cake..
Do you know why this falling down???? The red balls were made with buttercream frosting

What Can I do?

I'll apreciatte any fedback!

Thanks
LL

8 replies
Spuddysmom Posted 30 May 2012 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 9

From the photo, my guess is that a box would not have prevented the border from separating during transportation. Kind of looks like the cake had a bit of a bumpy ride; maybe the customer didn't understand that unless you have a non-skid mat under the cake (or a cake safe) you have to drive more cautiously, even with a box.

Lynne3 Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

what was the bottom of the cake on? Was it made on a square wooden board, a plastic cake board. Was it a square/rectangle, or cut around the outline of Mickey?

By the way, aside from the damage, it looks like a great cake

sole_ve Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the comments, I thought that the costumer was not driving carefuly too, but I do not know...

The base is foam cardboard, is not plastic as she said... I have a big one, so I cut depending of the size of the cake. I bought it in Michael's, a seller recommend me for put the cakes.

denetteb Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 9

I don't think a box vs plastic wrap would make a difference at all.

sole_ve Posted 30 May 2012 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 9

I would like to share, that after all was a happy ending!

In the email that I sent her, I proposed, I will go to her home and fix the cake, so I did that!

I went to her home, with a piping bag full of red frosting! and voalå! problem solved!
After she was happy with the cake, and I said to her, please be so carefuly whe you drive with the cake.

So thank you for all the post!

I feel happy now! icon_biggrin.gif

denetteb Posted 30 May 2012 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 9

That is great. I was thinking about you fixing it, I am glad you did it. Now you are happy and so is the customer. I still don't think a box would have prevented it though. Great customer service!

BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 1:25am
post #8 of 9

So glad you could fix it.

That damage is the result of the transport, nothing that you did. I'd say that the cake slid around in the car, was held on a lap or seat (not level), and/or a hard stop.

The buttercream ball border, I assume done with a crusting BC ?, was "pushed" away from the cake due to the slide, force, and/or the cake not being level.

I had something similar happen to a cake when it was put on the floor of a plane. As the plane climbed to cruising altitude, it went up at a steep angle and of course it vibrated. When the box was opened after landing, one side of a ball border had shifted about an inch away from the cake.

Really, if a customer is going to pick up a cake, you need to have a box, even if you have to custom make one or buy a clean packing box and cut down the sides a bit. My husband often makes super large boxes by taping together standard sheet cake boxes. Time consuming, and sometimes pricey, but necessary.

Rae

BakingIrene Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 9

Next time for such a cake, use two layers of the board that you used this time. When you cut the board to the shape of the cake, you make it weaker. So you need a stronger board to start with.

Or else try to use a round/oval board. Some foil will show but that is better than the board bending when somebody picks it up the wrong way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%