Soupy Imbc

Baking By bakencake Updated 30 May 2012 , 4:00pm by kkitchen

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 30 May 2012 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

Did everything we were supposed to but it turned very soupy. put extra butter and still soupy. anybody know why? We mixed the egg whites made them foam. got the sugar water corn syrup to the right temp. beat it all together and never congealed. anybody know why? thank you.

4 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 30 May 2012 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

Were your egg whites just foamy or did you whip them into a meringue before adding the syrup?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 5

whipped! very nice whipped egg whites.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 5

I know when I make mine, at the point of adding the butter the mixture will start to look a little soupy but after I've finished adding all the butter and I just let it whip for another couple of minutes it comes right back to the lovely silky buttercream that IMBC is.

Also, if the syrup hasn't cooled enough before you put the butter in it will go soupy. I noticed that you use corn syrup?? I don't use that in the recipe I make...I use Warren Brown's recipe and I learned to make IMBC from watching his youtube video.

I have heard others say that they have no luck making it but from the first time I made it after watching his video, I've had no problems. I will attach the link in case you might be interested in trying his method of making it.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else might have some suggestions.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 30 May 2012 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

I use this recipe exclusively, but with the little information that you provided, I am not able to assist.
So I will say this. Based on the temp of the meringue and butter you will get a soupy look. Sometimes it last longer than other times. If the meringue was not cool enough and the butter was room temp all you will get is basically melted butter. If that is the case then you can chill it for a while then re-whip and it will come to IMBC.

I do not know what recipe you used so I am unable to know what happened. Was there too much liquid ratio? What temp did you let it get too? How whipped were your egg whites? Did you pour it all at once or streamed it in? If you give a bit more detail I would be happy to help you troubleshoot it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%