Dessert Table

Business By brianna513 Updated 31 May 2012 , 9:21am by scp1127

brianna513 Posted 29 May 2012 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 5

Im doing an order for a dessert table, there will be 30-40 people at the party. Im making a 9x13 cake, 40 mini cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries and pretzels possibly oreos and cashews too. How many of each chocolate covered item should i make?

4 replies
Lynne3 Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 5

Are there children at the party? They always take more then 1 of everything.

But the main question is what is your client paying for?
Does the client want 4 dozen strawberries, or enough for each guest to have 2.
The client knows their crowd.

I recommend quantities, but have had clients that either double what I recommend, or get skimpy and shoot just for the guest number. You can only suggest. Then take the order from the person who contracts and pays you.

scp1127 Posted 30 May 2012 , 9:04am
post #3 of 5

I agree with Lynne3. I make suggestions and then let the client decide.

I think the minimum would be two strawberries per person and the rest just what looks good on a platter or in a bowl. My items are all a la carte with number of pieces and prices per batch.

With cake served, my minimum would be three extras per person of the rest (total 120 extra pieces). But lately, I have found that the number is more like five or six. I just did a cookie bar at a wedding and 120 guests went through over 600 cookies. They just kept coming back again and again. My daughter and I attended the buffet so I got to see the habits.

MimiFix Posted 30 May 2012 , 11:26am
post #4 of 5

The question is often posed : How many pieces or how big a cake for xx number of guests. Others respond with the standard chart amount. But in my experience, I've seen that over the years guests are prone to eating way more than they used to. For cupcakes, people will take one each of as many flavors as are offered. And for cake (other than wedding cake when a professional cuts traditional small slices), guests expect huge slabs. Has anyone else seen this?

scp1127 Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:21am
post #5 of 5

Mimi, I have started asking the bride/hostess what eating habits the guests have. If the group is educated, middle and upper income, many guests ages 25-50, I see a trend to eat lightly and the numbers are lower. If it is a family gathering or any with varied ages, I find the numbers larger.

On every buffet, I add a little to the paid number. I use this opportunity to try a new recipe and usually throw it in and keep track of the results (we serve at every buffet). Like in my above post, I'm finding that I'm glad that I had the extras.

I always tell the client that they may have some left over and I have a box and bakery paper with me to make a nice presentation to the client when the event is over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%