Need Advice On Duck Cake

Decorating By inspiredbymom Updated 30 May 2012 , 4:01pm by inspiredbymom

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 29 May 2012 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 7

A lady sent me this picture and asked me to make it. I think that I can use a ball pan for the head (will it stay round? Suggestions on support?) The other thing is the beak. It looks heavy. How do I attach it and be sturdy? The wings look heavy too! I usually do not have these issues but this cake will have to travel further and I am just not sure if it can take the bouncing around. That is my main issue. The other thing is that I do not have good luck making fondant go around curves without puckering. When I have tried cutting it, it can not get it to blend. My hands are not very hot and I have seen people use the heat of their hands to "melt" it together. Any thoughts on how to blend fondant without "hot hands"? Thanks for any help! (I hope the picture comes through!
LL

6 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 7

How many people is the duck cake for? You have the option of making the head from cake, or RKT or styrofoam if the duck's body size fills the serving requirements.

inspiredbymom Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 7

It is suppose to feed about 35 people.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 7

For that few people I would make the head out of a styrofoam ball.

The duck looks good if its big.

inspiredbymom Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

That sounds good (if I can find a ball icon_smile.gif ) It would be easier to stick a bill to. I will suggest that to her and see if it is okay. thanks!

vickim6948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickim6948 Posted 30 May 2012 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7

I have used the Wilton 3d duck pan for a similar cake. However, I don't think it would feed that many people. The wing also is not as deep in the Wilton pan either.

inspiredbymom Posted 30 May 2012 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 7

Well, I guess I don't have to do the duck after all! It was going to be more than the budget allowed. I did offer the Wilton 3D duck and other options. Just waiting to hear back. Thanks for all of the help. Lynne3 - Thanks for finding the original for me. Looking at a bigger picture really helped! I still want to do the cake just to see if I can! It is just so stinking cute! I can always count on CC'rs to come to my rescue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%