Does Anyone Here Use And Edible Image Printer?

Decorating By SoFloGuy Updated 28 Jun 2014 , 2:39am by icingimages

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 31

Did you buy it as a kit, or the printer, ink and paper separately?

Do you like it?

Is it easy to use?

Would you recommend it to others?

Is the ink and paper too expensive?

are the cartridges easy to refill?

or any other info you'd like to share, thanks.

30 replies
cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 31

My husband ordered me one in a kit and paid around $400. When it got here I priced out exactly what I got and realised buying it myself in pieces was only about $200. So personally I think the "package deals" are FAR from a deal. Needless to say I returned it , paid the ridiculous restock fee and just purchased all seperate. I have only used mine a couple of times in the 9 months or so i have had it, and I think it very easy to use. I think the cartridges cost me about $75 and I found a deal on the paper on Amazon for about the same.

SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbycakes

My husband ordered me one in a kit and paid around $400. When it got here I priced out exactly what I got and realised buying it myself in pieces was only about $200. So personally I think the "package deals" are FAR from a deal. Needless to say I returned it , paid the ridiculous restock fee and just purchased all seperate. I have only used mine a couple of times in the 9 months or so i have had it, and I think it very easy to use. I think the cartridges cost me about $75 and I found a deal on the paper on Amazon for about the same.

Thanks for the info, I've looked around online and saw kits starting at $180 without paper. Frosting sheets run about $25 for 24. They list the printers in the kit and I've seen you can buy the same printer for about $65, but I would check to make sure that it's a wireless printer and pay more for one if I have to. You can get a 4 color edible ink kit for about $55. with shipping all these costs might be a little higher. It's impressive, but I'm not sure I want to invest in getting one at this point.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 31

Canon IP 3600 from eBay $80
Ink from icing images.com $75
25 sheets from icing images.com $28
I have used my printer plenty of times in the last month or so. I think it's one of the better investments I've made for my business.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

I have used my printer plenty of times in the last month or so. I think it's one of the better investments I've made for my business.

Thanks for the information...now I can look into buying mine.

SoFloGuy Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

Thanks, do you have to connect it to the computer via USB cable to use it, and did you buy spongeless ink cartridges?
Have you had to refill the ink yet?
Do you have to clean the ink heads often?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:27am
post #7 of 31

I have the canon ip 3600 and get my supplies from icingimages.com too. Yes, it is connected to the PC with a USB. Yes spongeless ink cartridges. Yes, I use mine a lot and I've had it for a few years so I have refilled the ink cartridges several times and had no problems with that. I do buy new cartridges and refill ink once a year because it does expire (I have seen it mold). I do have to run the cleaning cycles if I haven't used it in a couple days but that always does the trick - I have never had to remove and soak the print head.

Their ink and paper make for incredibly high quality images.

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 31

I'm going to buy a wireless Canon MG5320 today. I also have one of these that I use as my regular printer that I bought from Staples for $99. (free shipping) a couple weeks ago. They seriously ship it to you the next day! I was surprised to see the price jumped up to $148., but they meet prices and I found it online for $99. (free shipping).
I currently own an Epson edible printer, but getting it to print an edible image has turned into a nightmare.

Sandylee05 Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 31

I have always struggled with printing edible images because I don't print many pics. I tried running a "nozzle check" every few days, but that uses a lot of ink. I had a lot of problems with the Canon print heads clogging, so I bought an Epson (mistake). Now I'm going back to Canon. You said you run a cleaning cycle. Do you use the Canon cleaning cartridges? I was told by Kopykake that it is pointless to run a head cleaning with edible ink. What do you think?
Thanks,
Sandy

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 31

I have a canon wireless and love it. I purchase all of my supplies from icingimages (spongless cartridges and premium frosting sheets). I've tried other brands and they just don't measure up. I also refill my cartridges and have never had a problem. Icingimages customer service can't be beat! Cleaning the print head is as easy as running it under hot water (I've never had a bad clog as I print something on paper once a week to keep the ink flowing).

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 30 May 2012 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 31

I am a hobbyist baker and only need images about once or twice a month. Before I ordered the spongeless ink cartridges from Edible Images I had a horrible time with the cartridges clogging or the printer not registering the ink in the tanks. I've had no problems at all since using their spongeless tanks and love to print images now. I just print out a nozzle check pattern (it uses a little bit of each color) about once a week and that seems to keep it from drying out. Their edible paper is also fabulous.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 31

Hi Everyone,
If you think you need an edible printer, you must consider how often you use it. If you use it regularly, (once a week) it is definitely worth it. If you are printing less then that, you must maintain it by using it! you can print on regular paper but you must always keep the edible ink in the printer. Do not let anyone talk you in to it unless you can commit to using it as you will waste money and experience a lot of frustration when you go to use it.

As far as the best ways to purchase a system. The kits are best bought through a REPUTABLE company if you want to by the printer and the supplies through one company. I say this with caution. We sell printer kits. We also back them up when there is a problem. If you do not want to pay for someone to back you up when there is a problem the I do NOT advise you to find a cheaper company. There are a lot of fly by night companies that are popping up and selling at low prices but I am hearing all kinds of horror stories (like being sent NON edible inks and then NOT being able to return them) and many other stories. If you cannot afford the Printer Kit from an affordable company, then go and piece your kit together. Buy the printer separately, but make sure your edible products are coming from a reputable company. NEVER slight yourselves by trying to get cheap edible products as those are the products your customers eat and the products that will cause the majority of the problems if something goes wrong and you want to be sure that the company is there to back you up. Just because it is cheaper doesn't mean it will be cheaper in the long run. I have tested a lot of inks from these new fly by night companies and my printer is clogged within 24 hours and the colors are off. So, if you want to cut in pricing and not have the backing of the company on the printer, then make your own kit by buying separately, but if you want someone to back your printer up then you will have to pay for it! Ask for recomendations and call companies before placing orders to be sure you are happy with them. You get what you pay for!!!! Please let me know if you have any questions

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 31

Interesting to read the bad results on the Epson printer bc I had a regular Epson printer and it was just awful, backed up all the time, took forever to warm up, drank the ink etc finally got rid of it and bought a HP which is alot better.
Would love to buy an edible printer too but unfortunately can't justify it at the moment. Keeping my eye out though!

icingimages Posted 31 May 2012 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 31

I do not recoommend the epsons. While they work for some people, overall, the volume of problems customers have had who have or have had the epson is too large. The HP in edibles is not supported anymore by any US vendor because they cartridges that they use could not be found as virgins, they were all remaufactured which is an edible no no. If you have a printer that is working for you do not replace it until it no longer works!

Sandylee05 Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 31

Thanks Debbie for all your valuable information. I ordered ink from Icingimages yesterday, and I was very pleased to see it shipped within the hour! I've heard so many good things about your products. Unfortunately, I already ordered the Canon elsewhere.
Upon the advice of a "well know edible ink supplier", I had bought an Epson NX400. I have had numerous problems. I spent 6 hours (yesterday) trying to print a picture (after spending two days unclogging it). I even ended up paying $10. to purchase a key to bypass the "ink pad is saturated " message before it would work. If anyone would like a free Epson NX400, it is yours for the cost of the postage. I have probably only printed less than 25 pictures.

Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 31

Debbie, is your edible ink kosher?

icingimages Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:25pm
post #17 of 31

I will pass on the compliments to my shipping department. Tina runs that department and her heart is in every order!

icingimages Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Debbie, is your edible ink kosher?

Yes,our ink is Kosher. Kosher Certified by the Rabbinical Council of California

Claire138 Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 31

Good to know, thanks!
(will bookmark your page for when I can take the edible printer off my wish list and actually buy it)

icingimages Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 31

If you are looking to help justify a purchase on an edilbe printer and you are not using it quite enough yet, I would suggest you take a look at iiDesigns on our website. It is an awesome program that features over 750 different patterns that are licnesed for edible use. The beauty of this program is that you can print designs to be used in isomalt, chocolate, around the sides of cakes, on the inside of flowers as accents. Printing icing images is not just about the picture anymore, it can be used in so many ways. In addition, iiDesigns allows you to print patterns that are repeateable so you can put them in bows ribbons etc, and they will match up perfectly without much effort at all!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 5:02am
post #21 of 31

I spent a long time getting my images from the grocery store. I finally had a big enough order to justify buying the printer (I was going to save as much money as the printer cost) and now I use it ALL THE TIME. You won't believe all the little uses you will find for it!

icingimages Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 11:05am
post #22 of 31

One funny thing about pictures on cakes, is everyone at the party has to try it. You know the parents who are always on a diet when you go to pass out the cake suddenly are not and must see what it is like to eat a picture of someone. The good news in that however is that the parents, the ones who make the final decision in a birthday cake are actually eating the cake....your cake, not some grocery store cake and they are now tasting the difference. Now you are selling them on the taste of the cake as well as your decorating skills! Sales end up increasing....One note though, Grandmas are the exception to this rule and cant seem to get past the idea of eating the picture of their grandkid!

Sandylee05 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:22pm
post #23 of 31

>>If you are looking to help justify a purchase on an edilbe printer and you are not using it quite enough yet, I would suggest you take a look at iiDesigns on our website.<<

I went to your site to check out the iiDesigns, but it appears that I can't get to it unless I buy the frosting sheets. Is that right?
FedEx just delivered the edible ink that I ordered two days ago! Wow! Super fast service! Thanks!

icingimages Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:50pm
post #24 of 31

Hi Sandy,
iiDesigns match up to our sheet size of the premiums. While you can order it now, it wont work properly because our sheets size has different margins. So they do go hand in hand. YOu can look at it though. The program is designed to allow you to select a size of ribbon and it will put i it in a repeatable pattern if you so choose, but since our Premium sheets run edge to edge, if you use another icing sheet, you will loose part of the pattern.

Sandylee05 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 2:23pm
post #25 of 31

Wow! Your sheets run edge to edge! I wish I would've known that before I placed that last order. Do you know if your colors match up with the Kopykake edible inks? I guess I shouldn't add Kopykake ink to your cartridges. ?? It is so expensive; I hate to waste it.

Claire138 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 2:27pm
post #26 of 31

From what I understand though is that you do not ship overseas right?

imasri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imasri Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 2:16pm
post #27 of 31

Hi Debbie

I was just on your site and I want to make sure I understood correctly: the ink you manufacture is not kosher, but you do have kosher ink  that is not sponge free?

If I did want to go with a sponge free kosher ink, would you know what brand gets the best results?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 12:10am
post #28 of 31

A

Original message sent by imasri

Hi Debbie I was just on your site and I want to make sure I understood correctly: the ink you manufacture is not kosher, but you do have kosher ink  that is not sponge free?

If I did want to go with a sponge free kosher ink, would you know what brand gets the best results?

Imasri, this particular thread was from 2012. Luckily, Debbie is still with us. [@]icingimages[/@]. I have tagged her so she will know to come respond. The information from this thread may be outdated, and Debbie can tell us about the current products Icing Images offers.

icingimages Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 1:54am
post #29 of 31

We are happy to serve you no mater where you bought the printer.  Please be sure to utilize iPrint, it is a free service to our customers that allows you to print your pictures.  You can add text, frames and so much more.  You can even print on the circles multiple pictures!  It is a lot of fun. 

icingimages Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 2:22am
post #30 of 31

All of our Kosher ink is has sponges in the cartridges.  This is an old thread.  We only carry it for certain models at this time.  It is best to email us directly regarding Kosher questions so we can be sure to answer your questions with all the details that are needed.  Our icing sheets are all Kosher certified. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%