Need A Quick Yummy Frosting That Will Stand Up To The Heat!!

Baking By Nikkei1984 Updated 28 May 2012 , 7:53pm by angsize68

Nikkei1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkei1984 Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:48am
post #1 of 2

Hi Lovelies

I've been asked to make a hundred cupcakes for my work to celebrate one of our staff running in the Olympic torch relay. The only problem is, I work full time and will therefore have to start making the cakes tonight (I'm going with a simple Madeira cake as in my past experience it hasn't dried out quickly and has remained moist for days) for Wednesday. Now just to make it tougher we are having a heat wave so I need a frosting that will help keep the cupcakes moist, that is delicious and will stand up to the heat!

Please can you help!!!!

Ps I'm in the UK so will most likely need to be a scratch recipe due to limitations in what I can buy here!

Many Thanks
Nikkei

1 reply
angsize68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angsize68 Posted 28 May 2012 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 2

All measurements are approximate since Im a until it looks right cook. Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add more milk. Luv the flavor of vanilla? Throw lots of it in there! This icing crusts VERY well and holds up great in extreme heat and humidity (passed the sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours test!)
Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
Ingredients

1-1/3 cups Crisco (real Crisco without the trans fat)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions
Theres no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the sugar-splash factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%