manomi Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:01am
post #1 of

Hi,
I have been asked to replicate this cake. I wanted to ask what do you think has been used to separate the third tier from the 4th tier..If you notice there is a slight gap between those two tiers only. Do you think a Styrofoam drum would work,since the gap is only 1 inch or 1/2 inch.. But if I use the styrofoam a little smaller than than the top tier (so it does;t show) do you think the top tiers would be sturdy? Is there another method i should be using...thanks for all the help in advance![/img]
LL

9 replies
cathyscakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:26am
post #2 of

I'm just wondering if it is plate and legs are longer that go thru the cake making it sit above the cake. I use the sps system and you can leave the legs long, and it will sit up like that. I don't know if your not wanting the pegs to show, but that would be the easiest way to achieve the look.

manomi Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:30am
post #3 of

Thanks for the reply...The legs in this one don't show and there are only 3 or 4 flowers so I can't even cover the legs...So i was thinking of doing it in the similar way...Just can't think of the best way...

manomi Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:34am
post #4 of

Also the 4th tier, is it painted freehand or is their a stencil for it?

manomi Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:06pm
post #5 of

bump..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

thallo Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:33pm
post #6 of

I would probably use the styrofoam between the tiers as you can cover it so that it looks good. I have done that in the past and it was very study. I have also done the separation with the pillars and I covered them in fondant and they worked well, too. It's just a matter of what you feel more confortable with.

As for the painting on the 4th tier, I think it is hand painted.

Good luck and I am sure you will do a fantastic job!

manomi Posted 28 May 2012 , 10:41pm
post #7 of

Thank you thallo...So the styrofoam would be slightly smaller than its tip tier,right? What should be the maximum difference in size so its still sturdy?Also I should be covering it with black fondant,right? Also I have never used the push in pillars....doesn't it push out the filling.?

Thank you so much..

thallo Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:27am
post #8 of

The push pillows don't effect the filling. They aren't really that big. And yes, the styrofoam woul be at least 2 inches smaller than the tier that is on top of it. You would have a cake board and cake plate underneath the cake and one underneath the styrofoam so you have lots and lots of support. I would cover it in whatever color you are putting on the tier underneath it. It will blend better that way.

It will be much easier than you think - either way. And don't forget to keep us updated.

manomi Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:37am
post #9 of

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it.

wildflowercakes Posted 29 May 2012 , 3:30am

You might check out Wilton's Towering Tier Cake Stand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%