Imbc Question

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 28 May 2012 , 5:11am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

Does IMBC and SMBC color good? I need to get royal blue.

So this is what I did....
I baked, filled and crumb coated with my regular 50/50 buttercream.. after chilling I wrapped cakes. They are not in a box .I don't have that much room in my freezer for that size box. I just have saran wrap and foil on them. I will put them in the freezer.. We are leaving for out of town on friday morn. I will take the cakes out of the freezer, leave wrapped and they will have to stay that way until we get home sat eve around 6pm. Then I wanted to ice them Sat eve with IMBC.
Is all this ok? .
Please give me any advice that I need.
Thanks , Wendy

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:48am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

Does IMBC and SMBC color good? I need to get royal blue.

So this is what I did....
I baked, filled and crumb coated with my regular 50/50 buttercream.. after chilling I wrapped cakes. They are not in a box .I don't have that much room in my freezer for that size box. I just have saran wrap and foil on them. I will put them in the freezer.. We are leaving for out of town on friday morn. I will take the cakes out of the freezer, leave wrapped and they will have to stay that way until we get home sat eve around 6pm. Then I wanted to ice them Sat eve with IMBC.
Is all this ok? .
Please give me any advice that I need.
Thanks , Wendy

Well, the butter based meringue BCs can be very hard to get deeply colored.

As for the cakes, they'll be fine in the freezer.

Given that they're crumb coated, I'd take them out of the freezer Thurs. night, put them in the fridge to defrost slowly, and then place UNWRAPPED on the counter Fri. before I left until I got home Sat.
That way, they'll settle nicely and be ready for the final BC coat at whatever time on Sat. evening that works well for you.

JMHO
Rae

funtodecorate2 Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:25am
post #3 of 6

thanks , I wanted to use the IMBC because it isn't so sweet. I do like my buttercream recipe but thought it might be nice to have a outer icing a little less sweet. Is there something else you would recommend ?

thanks again
wendy

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

If you crumb coat like me, there are probably patches where you can see cake. If you can see cake, do NOT leave them unwrapped on the counter. Wrapped will be just fine and will not affect the settling at all.

For coloring the buttercream, the pp is right it takes a LOT of color to get them dark and you're just as likely to have soupy buttercream by the time you add that much. You also MUST use oil-based (or powdered) colorings. Water based ones will not mix in well at all.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:58am
post #5 of 6

When I crumb coat, I make sure that there aren't naked spots, just so it can sit out unwrapped.
I like to let them come to room temp unwrapped so that unwrapping doesn't pull off any of that crumb coat, and also so that there isn't any condensation on the surface when I begin to apply the finish coat.

You can mix ABC & IMBC. It can be a nice hybrid.

If you make the ABC very dark and then add in the IMBC, that might get you closer to the color you need.

Just a thought.
Rae

funtodecorate2 Posted 28 May 2012 , 5:11am
post #6 of 6

The one is a choc cake so yes I can see parts of the cake from my crumb coat. So I guess I will do what Rae said and take out of freezer thurs night and put into frig WRAPPED. Take out friday morn and maybe since there are naked spots or see through spots I will just leave on counted WRAPPED

When I get home take it off and hopefully there won't be too much condensation.

Maybe loosen up the wrap a little before I Leave?

thanks for the help again
Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%