Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By JaesSweetHearts Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 1:12pm by rozedcj

JaesSweetHearts Posted 26 May 2012 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a baby shower cake and I'm unsure how to make the cake she wants! She found a picture online and for one its a fondant cake and I have never worked with fondant. I'm going to attach a picture, can anyone help me and let me know if there is a way to do this with buttercream? and if so, how?! I need all the help I can get!

5 replies
JWinslow Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:38am
post #2 of 6

I know if you Google How to make a pregnant cake a bunch of links come up including a couple of videos. I didn't go through them but you could give it try. Hope this helps a little.

JaesSweetHearts Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:54am
post #3 of 6

thanks! I'll give it a try

HootersAlicia Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

I did a belly cake last month and it wasn't too difficult, but I'm comfortable with fondant. I don't know how well it would work with buttercream, but I think you'd have to use the viva method to get it smooth enough since other methods wouldn't work on a curved cake like that. I used a 10" round and cut it to make it round and used two round mugs for the boobs. I made a little fondant foot and put that on before covering the belly with fondant to make the footprint, but mine was more subtle than the one in the picture (I thought it looked more real that way, but that's not what everyone wants). I covered the belly and the boobs separately and then used the clothes to make it all come together. I hope this helps in one way or another!

tokazodo Posted 27 May 2012 , 1:08am
post #5 of 6

If you have ever wanted to learn to work with fondant, this is probably one of the easiest shapes to cover with fondant. You don't have any corners and the 'belly' shape tapers out, so you don't have to work about stretches or folds.

There are plenty of youtube videos of how to cover a cake with fondant. I have seen the 'belly's, baked in mixing bowls.
You should not have a problem making this cake, go for it![/b]

rozedcj Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 6

OMG!! i have to make this exact same cake for a baby shower tomorrow!!! I hope everything turns out well!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%