Cream Cheese Filling?

Baking By knel Updated 11 May 2013 , 1:05pm by yortma

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 26 May 2012 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone know if you can use the marshmallow/cream cheese fruit dip as a filing? Would it be too "slippery" for stacked cakes? If so, what are your opinions for the best cream cheese filling? Thanks!

6 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 May 2012 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 7

You can use just about anything for a filling...just make sure the dam around your cake is stiff enough to hold it in. For fillings you don't want absorbing into your cake, put a thin coat of buttercream on the layers before you top it with the filling.

If it's just a 2-layer cake and I'm still concerned about sliding I will use a dowel in the center.

I've been known to purchase a cheesecake and use that as a filling. You could make your own, but honestly it's cheaper to buy one! I just scoop it out and spread it around. It works great and tastes even better!
HTH! thumbs_up.gif

BTW...is your fruit dip just made of marshmallow cream and cream cheese? Or do you add something else?

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:26am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I've been known to purchase a cheesecake and use that as a filling. You could make your own, but honestly it's cheaper to buy one! I just scoop it out and spread it around. It works great and tastes even better!
HTH! thumbs_up.gif

What a great idea, will have to give that a try! thumbs_up.gif

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 28 May 2012 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

The fruit dip is a jar of marshmallow cream and 1 8 oz cream cheese. I have put conf sugar in it before, too...

I'm doing a groom's cake for my future brother-n-law, and he wants choc cake with cream cheese filling, choc icing, and choc ganache with choco dipped strawberries. I've never done a cream cheese filling, only cream cheese icing. I am just curious as to what would be the best... the cheese cake idea sounds really good... I don't know which to do. The fruit dip is REALLY good, too. Any preferences?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:00am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

The fruit dip is a jar of marshmallow cream and 1 8 oz cream cheese. I have put conf sugar in it before, too...

I'm doing a groom's cake for my future brother-n-law, and he wants choc cake with cream cheese filling, choc icing, and choc ganache with choco dipped strawberries. I've never done a cream cheese filling, only cream cheese icing. I am just curious as to what would be the best... the cheese cake idea sounds really good... I don't know which to do. The fruit dip is REALLY good, too. Any preferences?

Clarify with him what he wants...I bet he's thinking of a cheesecake filling. Oooo....what about a chocolate cheesecake filling? He sounds like he's a choco-holic and that might send him over the moon!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 May 2013 , 4:11am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

Wow, what a great idea!!! icon_biggrin.gif  I'm gonna have to steal it for a spiced cake filling. Thanks!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 May 2013 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 7

For cream cheese/cheese cake filling,  I make a Junior's New york style cheesecake every now and then. (the recipe that uses 4 8 oz packs of cream cheese).  It is widely available online. Or get the Junior's cheesecake cookbook which is worth having.  right after baking, I chill it until firm.  (I don't like to leave it sitting out since it may sit out a while later in the cake, and cracks on the top don't matter.)  Slice or scrape of the browned top.  Cut it into quarters, and wrap each quarter well and freeze.  1/4 is just right for filling one layer of a 9 or 10" cake.  When needed, I defrost it until it is room temperature, and mix it in my KA until smooth and creamy.  It is pure delicious cheesecake flavor without being too sweet, and is thicker and sturdier than most buttercreams.  The only problem is that cheesecake in the freezer.  I have it duct taped closed to discourage random snacking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%