Gel Color Vs Liquid Color

Decorating By sole_ve Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 2:24am by ajwonka

sole_ve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sole_ve Posted 25 May 2012 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I have been working with MMF since I am decorating cakes..so I have a question about coloring MMF...

gel color or liquid color?

I have read that gel color change the texture of the fondant (dry it out or crumble)..

What can you recommend me?

After a DISASTER that I had coloring red MMF, now I apply the color drop by drop and a lot of Crisco to avoid have a crumble o dry MMF.

If not good, mix two brands? sometimes I mixed Americ Color+Wilton (red, No taste red) for example..

Do you any advice? or any preference using gel o liquid color?

Thanks

Solange icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 May 2012 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what color you're going for but if it's a deep color I would mix up a batch of MMF and mix it with a container of Duff's fondant in the color needed. Gel color for sure but it's tricky because the more you add the more compromised the MMF becomes - that's why you need to have "help" in the form of premade colored fondant.

sole_ve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sole_ve Posted 30 May 2012 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your answer! I will try that for the next time that I need red! MMF
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 30 May 2012 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

The best way to get red using the least amount of dye is to start with a bright pink color. For some reason it takes less dye to get fondant vibrant pink than it does red, then you add the red to that. Overall, you'll end up using less.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 2:24am
post #5 of 5

You can color using melted candy melts with the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar. Mix gel color with the candy melts & marshmallows until it's the right color & then mix in the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%