Have I Covered Too Early?

Decorating By TallJosh Updated 26 May 2012 , 11:25am by Chellescakes

TallJosh Posted 25 May 2012 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

Thanks for reading. I covered two fruit cakes with almond paste 4 days ago, thinking that the wedding cake I'm doing is due this weekend. I have just realised I have got my dates wrong and the wedding is actually next weekend! Are my almond paste covered fruit cakes going to make it?! When should I cover them with fondant, this weekend or wait until the day before the big day? At present my almond pasted cakes are open in card cake boxes to dry, should I cover them with fondant now to protect the marzipan then wait for the fondant to dry then air tight them for the week?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm properly stressing out as I've never used almond paste before and I'm worried I've ruined it. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
Relznik Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 6

Hi

Are they rich fruit cakes?

If so, they'll be fine!! Think how far ahead of Christmas you can buy fully decorated Christmas cakes!!

TallJosh Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply Relznik. Yes, they are acohol soaked and matured. I am more worries that the almond paste will be spoilt because it's not coveredwith fondant? Should I cover the cakes with fondant tomorrow then air tight them once the fondant has dried out?

Thanks again

Relznik Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 6

Whatever you do don't put them in anything air tight! Either before or after you've covered them!

You can cover them tomorrow, or cover them next week. It really won't make any difference. You dampen the marzipan with cool boiled water or a clear alcohol, don't you? Many people choose to let the marzipan dry for a day or two before covering (especially if they are royal icing - which I know you're not on this occasion).

But don't store them in anything air tight, because then it is very likely to 'sweat' and that will ruin it!

They will be absolutely fine just in their covered cardboard cake boxes!!

TallJosh Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 6

That's great, thanks for the advice. Sounds like I was on the right track, (apart from the air tight tubs!!)

Thanks again.

Chellescakes Posted 26 May 2012 , 11:25am
post #6 of 6

Go ahead and cover them , My Aunt kept the top tier of the wedding cake I did her for over a year in a cardboard cake box , in a cool cupboard. It was beautiful when we cut it. So a week won't make a difference.

Oh the cake I am talking about was marzipanned and fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%