Traveling 15Hrs With Cake 2 Days Before Wedding.

Decorating By SRC_Dee Updated 26 May 2012 , 3:59pm by SRC_Dee

SRC_Dee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRC_Dee Posted 25 May 2012 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 5

Need Advice Please,
I am traveling 15 hours to a family wedding and will need to bake and do as much of the work that I can before traveling. The cake is 4 tier red velvet cake with cream cheese filling and covered in fondant. I was planning to bake, fill, and cover the tiers, freeze them and then transport in coolers with blocks of ice and the cakes in cake boxes on the ice. I will stack and decorate after arriving. I have never frozen a fondant covered cake and it makes me nervous to do so. I will not have an opportunity to rebake or cover at the venue. I have also debated not freezing covered cakes and just keep them cool. Ideas??
Thanks!

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 May 2012 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

I would definitely freeze before traveling that long with them, but not everyone would. Freezing fondant cakes isn't a problem. As long as they're wrapped well and you thaw them with the wrapping still on, they'll be fine. You might have a little condensation on the cakes but it will dry quickly. I wouldn't decorate until I got there, like you said, so there wouldn't be any chance of colors bleeding.

If freezing really freaks you out, they should be fine just being kept cold during the trip.

Good Luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2012 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 5

I'd be pretty leery of that cream cheese icing out of refrigeration for 2 days plus the day of the wedding. At east use Erlene's cream cheese icing which is reportedly shelf stable. Or use the LorAnn flavoring in your regular bc. If you don't have erlene's recipe, just Google it.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 May 2012 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 5

Are you sure this is really a good idea? Where will you store them when you get there? Who will have refrigerated storage space for all those cakes. And if you are placing the cakes on top of the ice, how will you separate them so that as the iced melts and changes shape it doesn't shift and tip the cakes? What will you do during your overnight stop if you aren't driving straight through? And driving breaks? And the cakes will be more than 3 days old at the time of serving? Do you have room in the vehicle for all these coolers, your decorating supplies and you luggage? Especially a concern with a cream cheese icing and filling. You probably can make this work, and probably others have, but is this really the best option for the wedding cake?

SRC_Dee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRC_Dee Posted 26 May 2012 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advise. I am committed to doing this because it is for my nephew and he really wanted me to do the cake. I have traveled 9 hours with an unassembled cake in coolers and it was o.k. but the longer trip has me a little nervous. My change filling to regular bc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%