Should I Put Base Cake On Foil Or A Board?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 26 May 2012 , 3:51am by KimErskine

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 25 May 2012 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 6

I'd like to say this was my last question, but I know better icon_confused.gif - please bear with me today as I assemble this thing!

Dh just finished a nice wooden base for me. I will be starting with an 11x14 cake. I have a roll of cake foil to cover it with (actually I was going to wrap with paper to make it seem thicker and then the foil to make it look more like a wrapped gift to go with the rest of the cake). Can I (should I) put the bottom cake right on the foil? Or should I put down a thin cake board first? Can I assemble and frost the cake right on that base then? I could tape down some freezer paper to protect it from a mess...

5 replies
ickworthpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ickworthpark Posted 25 May 2012 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

I regularly make my own boards and cover with foil, then place/decorate the cake directly on the foil. If you are covering with paper first tho, it might be more prone to tearing/puncturing?

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 25 May 2012 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 6

The base is just made of raw wood... I thought if the cake foil tore then you'd see that - figured that the white paper might help... I don't know. Maybe aluminum foil would be better. But if I can go ahead and put the cake right on the cake foil, that should be good. At least I won't have to worry about a cake board sliding the whole cake off the base en route. Should stick good.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 May 2012 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 6

Ideally, for ease of moving the cake around & even for decorating, the cake should be on it's own board, the same size as the cake tier.

I never put the cake onto the decorative base board until it's got it's finish coat of icing on it.

Rae

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 May 2012 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

If you don't have a big glob of icing on your board before you put your cake on it, you're asking for trouble. I generally always put my cake directly on a clean, food safe covered board. If I'm not using a ready-made covered board, I cover my board with white freezer wrap (shiny side out). Then I frost it, stack if it's tiered and decorate. The glob of icing underneath will anchor your cake.

Don't ever use kitchen foil. Nothing looks cheaper or detracts from a cake more IMO.

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 26 May 2012 , 3:51am
post #6 of 6

When ever I make my own board I always put a cake board under the cake. I use the same size as the cake (10 inch cake on 10 inch board) If its a large cake I run a dowel all the way down and into bottom board for support and I put 2 face tap down between cake board and my decorated board. This helps keep it in place. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%