Wedding Cake Topper On Buttercream Rose Cake?

Decorating By laura2412 Updated 27 May 2012 , 11:43am by indydebi

laura2412 Posted 25 May 2012 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cupcake tower I'm doing for a wedding with a small buttercream rose cake on top. I'm wondering if I put a wedding cake topper on it (bride & groom) if it will look right or fall through the cake or if I need some kind of support for it. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2 replies
carmijok Posted 25 May 2012 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 3

I'd say it depends on what kind of topper the bride wants. For something as ornate as this I think a Monogram would look simple and lovely. However, depending on the type of bride and groom topper, that would look OK too. Just make sure to measure the topper against the size of the tier so you don't have one that's way too tall or too wide.

You will need at least one dowel in the center to support the B&G topper (depending on how heavy it is). A large bubble straw would work too.

Personally I would use a thin circle of gum paste (dried very well) and use that to place the bride and groom topper on top of the cake and then fill in around it with your BC rose design. But others may have better ideas.

Me? I'd go with a single letter monogram if I went with a topper at all. Again, check with the bride. hth!

indydebi Posted 27 May 2012 , 11:43am
post #3 of 3

Toppers have been sitting on top of buttercream cakes for longer than any of us on here can remember. Unless they are the weight of a bowling ball, they are not going to "fall thru the cake". Most toppers are designed to sit on a cake. The key is having a broad base to spread out the weight (like a waterbed). if they are of extraordinary weight (and I only had 2 in my lifetime), then a dowels system with the topper sitting on some kind of plate or platform may be needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%