Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 9

After some time it still has barely barely crusted. It's Sharon Z's --
5 1/2 C shortening'
1/4 C vanilla
1C water w/creamer
2 bags powdered sugar

What did I do wrong? I've made it before and I thought it crusted then... I would've remembered it it hadn't. Can I do something to this batch or is it too late? I can use it for some of the filling, but I don't need this much of this type of icing so a lot would be wasted.

Should I add meringue powder next batch?

8 replies
loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 24 May 2012 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

You don't have enough powdered sugar by the sound of it. You need 1 cup shortening per 1lb powdered sugar.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 24 May 2012 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou2

You don't have enough powdered sugar by the sound of it. You need 1 cup shortening per 1lb powdered sugar.

Yes if you have 5 1/2 cups shortening, you should have used 5 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar.

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 9

Ugh, I've added about 5 lbs now but my mixer just cannot hold anymore - it's glopping over the sides. It's a little better, but still not "safe". I suppose I can try to halve it and add more that way...

srkmilklady Posted 24 May 2012 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 9

This recipe is for a 5 quart mixer and it should be FULL...the buttercream should completely envelop the paddle. Have you watched her video? The bowl is completely full to almost the very top.

HTH..... icon_smile.gif

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 9

I have her dvd and I did watch this same video this morning. And my mixer bowl was full - and with the extra ps, overflowing. I may just use this for the filling on the one cake and try another recipe for the frosting.

I'm open to suggestions on other recipes...

srkmilklady Posted 25 May 2012 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

@wildgirl...

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but the recipe calls for high ratio shortening. Would you have used it in the batch you made? Again, not sure if that might have anything to do with it....you seem to have done everything else correctly, so I'm stumped, other than the shortening being a possible cause for the problem.

Wildgirl Posted 25 May 2012 , 6:16am
post #8 of 9

I just used regular crisco - I haven't been able to find the hi-ratio around here. I know I've made this recipe before and I just don't remember it acting like this. Earlier I had taken about half out of the bowl and added a lot more ps - I just got home and what I had taken out and smeared on a plate to "test" is still mushy. Just a very light light crust. Certainly not firm enough to use on the outside of the cakes. *sigh* I can use some of it for a filling, but now I'll have to figure out another recipe to use for the outside.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 May 2012 , 5:55am
post #9 of 9

the crisco is the problem. the recipe needs a shortening with trans fats for it to crust icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%