Someone Tell Me I Can Do This

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 24 May 2012 , 8:21pm by auntginn

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 8

I know I have the habit of panicking.... icon_surprised.gif But it doesn't help when you're inexperienced and you don't want everyone else to see that. And you have limited time.

Ok, in a couple of hours I have to leave and be gone basically for the rest of the evening. Then I have Friday, with some limited homeschooling and other distractions in there. I don't want to count Sat morning since I will have to pack an get ready for this mini-trip. The cakes are all baked and in the freezer, the peony buds are cut and in the refrigerator, I have to run to the store to get some more supplies like lace and other ribbon - oh and I also ran out of vanilla. I have a large batch of Sharon's bc in the mixer now (it seems to be very slow to crust though - makes me a little nervous!!). For the cakes I still have to level and cut to the sizes I need. Need to make a batch of lemon curd and a cookies and cream filling besides some cream cheese icing. The put together a kitchen cake which I'm not worrying about corners, etc. But the 4 gift box cakes have to be then put together and iced - I still need to cut bases to the exact sizes and make sure I can get the cakes level enough.... and need to finalize how the boxes will be decorated... simple, but still need something....
Can I do this all in the time I have? I know, get away from the computer. But I'm so afraid this is beyond me... just like the wedding cake. That turned out nice, but this cake needs to be more "perfect". icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 May 2012 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 8

You never know what/how much you can do until you have to.

I am a firm believer in making lists and they have saved my hide on more than one occasion. You've already made your list, so you're in good shape. Just take one item at a time. You'll get everything done, especially if your dh will run ramrod over any little ones and help keep distractions to a minimum.

Just have a cup of coffee, take a couple of deep breaths and get started. You'll be fine and so proud of yourself when you're all done.

You can do this! If you can handle a husband and kids, you can handle cakes.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 24 May 2012 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with jgifford. I always get myself nervous when I'm making someone else's cake. The thought of all of the steps and process can be overwelming. Make a list so you don't forget a step and start banging it out one step at a time. Once you get the ball rolling it's smooth sailing. And just keep in mind that there is a solution to every problem!

This actually just happened to me with my daughter's birthday cake. I had 80 guests and thought it would be a money saver if i did EVERYTHING myself including cooking all of the food. I knew what i had to get done and the order i was going to do it. Well.. i was on a good roll until i realized in the morning that i forgot to strain my ricotta for the canoli filling. I ran out of time. I strained what i could in 15 minutes but it wasn't enough. When i filled the cake the filling was very runny and it made me very nervous. Thankfully I used ganach instead of icing before the fondant and kept putting the cake back in the refridgerator to harden and it worked out perfectly!

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 8

It made me nervous reading your experience! lol! I know about lists - I don't know what I'd do without legal pads. Dh even makes fun of me because I have legal pad lists everywhere! It's the things I'm not experienced with that freak me out --- I was imagining beginning the icing and realizing that the board the cake was on didn't have an hole in the center under it for the sps plate - it's that kind of stuff that makes me get crazy!!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 May 2012 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 8

I've had my share of crazy days. Now that my business has really taken off, you'd think crazier, right.

First don't panic. Like the other 2 said, just make a list. Its the tried and 2 way. You wouldn't have taken on too much, you knew in the beginning you could handle it OR you are up to the challenge which is the best way to grow.

You will be fine.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 24 May 2012 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 8

Yes - You can do this!!!!!
You have all day Friday
You know exactly what you have to do
You are organized and talented

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks you guys! I still want to cry though! lol!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 May 2012 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 8

Then go ahead and cry.. it will help you to relieve the stress. Get it off your shoulders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%