Using Fresh Peonies On Cake?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 24 May 2012 , 3:23pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

I thought I had a great idea to use fresh peonies from our yard (not sprayed at all) for this anniversary cake - it would take away tons of stress since I don't really have time to play with gumpaste flowers. But in reading around online about using fresh flowers on cake, it never mentions peonies as a safe flower. They will not be served with the cake, so won't be eaten of course. Tell me it's ok to use them!!

And the party is on Sat - can I start frosting some of the cakes today (Thurs)? I'm afraid to wait to do it all tomorrow....

4 replies
jgifford Posted 24 May 2012 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 5

In ''Don't Throw Those Bouquets, Cook Them'' (June 24), the author, Carolyn Jabs, mentions that peonies ''can be sampled without fear.'' Coincidentally, two days ago I read that peonies, especially the flowers, are extremely poisonous - sometimes fatal - I read this in ''The Herb Book'' by John Lust, published by Bantam.

There seems to be some difference of opinion here. However, everyone seems to agree that they're toxic to animals. HTH

Yes, you can start frosting today - your cakes will be fine until Saturday. thumbs_up.gif

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 5

I've read both opinions too. And I've seen some garden center photos of cakes using their peonies as well. It would be so perfect to use them - I have to same color that they had at their wedding.
I don't know what to do now! I wonder if Michaels has silk peonies.... not that I want to put more $$ into this....

jgifford Posted 24 May 2012 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 5

I don't think there would be a problem as long as you make sure they don't come in contact with the actual cake. Put a downsized cake board covered with bc or fondant or a piece of plastic wrap between them and the cake.

Wildgirl Posted 24 May 2012 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

You're right. I just got off the phone with our state poison control center. She said that if I just had a barrier between them and the cake, they should be fine. I had hoped to scatter them around the cake, but maybe just one nice bunch on top then can work - would be the easiest. Unless I can figure out a way to use something creatively as a barrier...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%