Your Base Price Cost Please! Help!

Business By mystsparkle Updated 23 May 2012 , 7:58pm by pmarks0

mystsparkle Posted 23 May 2012 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

can we talk cost? ive seen all the posts on how others figure how to charge, but heres my ?:

its sometimes hard for me to figure how much buttercream.fondant its really going to take on an order, so sometimes i estimate...but can u tell me how much base price it would cost you for a standard flavor, filling cake stacked in tiers of an 8 round w/ 6 round? these would be covered in fondant. my base price for 8inch covered is: $19.50 and $15.00 for the 6 inch. these are also each 4 inch high. do my base prices seem high? reason i ask..i quoted $90-$130 for a cake while i found out another cottage food business quoted $68 for the same cake...located in the same city as me....just wondering if her ingred, cost coud be that much lower than mine!

3 replies
jgifford Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 4

Your prices are very low. In my area a fondant-covered cake goes for $3.00/serving. That would be $36 for a 6' and $72 for an 8".

jason_kraft Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystsparkle

i found out another cottage food business quoted $68 for the same cake...located in the same city as me....just wondering if her ingred, cost coud be that much lower than mine!

That other business probably doesn't know how to price their cakes correctly. Usually the problem is more on the labor or overhead side, as in paying yourself a very low wage or ignoring overhead like insurance, utilities, etc.

pmarks0 Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 4

If you aren't sure how much fondant you're going to need for a cake when you're pricing, this chart may help.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=24

I rarely find I need more than what it says, and often less. So when figuring out my base cost of a cake, including all boards, dowels and boxes, I use the amount of fondant they say for the size of cake I'm doing and calculate the cost to me of that fondant to get the base cost.

For example, I'm doing a two tiered 8"/10" fondant covered cake this weekend. The base cost for all materials is $60 and that includes drum board, cake circles, dowels and boxes since I'm assembling on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%