Mexican Chocolate Cake

Baking By cherrycakes Updated 24 May 2012 , 11:58am by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Posted 23 May 2012 , 4:02am
post #1 of 3

Can I just add cinnamon and cayenne pepper to my chocolate WASC recipe (without almond)? Or, is there a certain texture about Mexican Chocolate Cake that's different? Also, what kinds of icing would pair best with this? I would like to make a two layer and have even thought of adding fresh strawberries in the filling. Does this sound right? Thanks!!

2 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 24 May 2012 , 8:30am
post #2 of 3

I don't think I would add the cayanne. Most of the recipes I have seen just call for Mexican vanilla and cinnamon. I would personally use a cheesecake or vanilla mousse with a cinnamon cream cheese butter cream. You can make an easy mousse by using one small box of instant pudding and two cups of whipping cream. My favorites are cheesecake, white chocolate , vanilla, chocolate fudge and banana cream. Some people don't like the little bite of heat you get from the cayanne especially if there will be small children.

cherrycakes Posted 24 May 2012 , 11:58am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I don't think I would add the cayanne. Most of the recipes I have seen just call for Mexican vanilla and cinnamon. I would personally use a cheesecake or vanilla mousse with a cinnamon cream cheese butter cream. You can make an easy mousse by using one small box of instant pudding and two cups of whipping cream. My favorites are cheesecake, white chocolate , vanilla, chocolate fudge and banana cream. Some people don't like the little bite of heat you get from the cayanne especially if there will be small children.

Thanks so much for your response!! I am actually making it for a potluck where there will be young children so I was also wondering about the cayenne! Because this is such a different combination for me I think I may have to do a trial run on my family!

Just one more question: For the mousse, do you mix the pudding as per box instructions and then add two cups whipped cream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%