JenFailla Posted 23 May 2012 , 12:52am
post #1 of

Hi,

My cousin is wanting to do a candy buffet for her son's 1st bday. We live in NY and it will be June 24th. She wants the buffet set up outside... but is worried about how well the stuff will hold up in the heat. The only thing I've found online about candy that holds up pretty well in heat is Runts. Any other suggestions? (Besides telling her to have the table set up inside? lol)

4 replies
tokazodo Posted 23 May 2012 , 1:20am
post #2 of

Recently, I went to a friends wedding. We were a captive audience, held outside in 50 degree weather.Did I mention it was windy? The whole event was outside. We froze our bottoms off! There was a 'Sweet Bar' also, but few children, mainly adults. The event was on the water where it is damp and humid. (I live near the ocean) The 'sweets', were placed in penny candy jars, like you used to see in a general store. There was a tremendous amount of 'sweets', left over. The guests ate, appetizers, a main course, Wedding cupcakes (provided by me, of course).

It seemed like such a waste, to spend all that time and money on all the sweet stuff, only to have more then half of it left over.

We used to do 'Loot bags", when my kids were little. (gosh, I now feel old!) We'd just get small bags from the dollar store and put a few pieces of candy in them, and then add a small toy.
HTH

*any kind of chocolate sweet will melt for sure at the end of June, in NY,..

blueskies4444 Posted 23 May 2012 , 4:31am
post #3 of

obviously nothing chocoalte would work.
some things that might-
individually wrapped starburst
twizzlers
razzles (if they are going old school)
pixie sticks
rock candy might work
sour patch kids or something similar might hold up
gummy bears
jolly ranchers
smarties

I'm sure there are others...

Though, I have to admit, while I love some of these, a candy bar without chocoalte just sounds like a sad affair to me !

JenFailla Posted 23 May 2012 , 12:29pm
post #4 of

Great suggestions- I'll pass them along! And I have to agree with your last statement:

Though, I have to admit, while I love some of these, a candy bar without chocoalte just sounds like a sad affair to me ![/quote]
icon_lol.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 23 May 2012 , 12:54pm
post #5 of

If you can set it up in a shady area you should be fine. Chocolate starts to melt around 86 degrees.

When I got married in December 2010, I had a huge candy buffet. We had a lot of adults and a few little ones there (hardly any little ones in my family anymore). The candy buffet was demolished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%