Question About Renting Kitchens

Business By cakemagic Updated 26 May 2012 , 2:04pm by cakemagic

cakemagic Posted 22 May 2012 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 5

What are the requirements for renting commercial kitchens to bake your cakes..
Do you have to have a license? or anyone can rent a commercial kitchen and then sell their baked goods?

4 replies
cakemagic Posted 23 May 2012 , 1:34am
post #2 of 5

anyone? icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 23 May 2012 , 2:41am
post #3 of 5

Depends on where you live, but in most areas you will need a business license from the city/town, liability insurance, and an inspection certificate from the county or state health department.

Some states have cottage food laws, which allow you to sell baked goods from home with some restrictions.

Merry2go Posted 24 May 2012 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

Just as Jason says you need to look at your state & county's health department laws. I'm in Illinois and we can only use commercial kitchens from start to packaging. Delivery must come from the kitchen. You can't bring it home then deliver it to my customer. I'm also in the midst of renting my first kitchen and you do need a food safety & sanitation certified, a state license, $1 Million Liability insurance policy. Plus all your equipment and ingredients need to stay in the commercial kitchen. So you'll also have additional dry & cooler storage fees.

cakemagic Posted 26 May 2012 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both for your help. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%