Using Wrapping Paper To Cover Cake Boards?

Decorating By D-dar Updated 11 Oct 2015 , 6:07pm by maybenot

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 2:27pm
post #31 of 34

*tape it underneath :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 5:27pm
post #32 of 34

Lead is still used in some inks, and the makers of Contact paper have confirmed to me that it is present in some of the colors used in the printed vinyls.

Yes, a board between the cake and the paper is necessary, but some people don't do that and they need to know about issue.  Also, there is the issue of whether or not a large border that may be served and eaten will be sitting directly on the paper.

It's very simple to cover the board with cellophane, or even saran wrap, over the paper.  I do it all the time, like on the cake below.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 5:29pm
post #33 of 34

I don't like using plastic wrap, as I'm always worried there's a chance of that being cut and eaten with the cake flushed.png So I just make sure I have a board under my cake.  Also, I would never use something plastic, such as a table cover.  Scrapbook paper is less likely to be toxic.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 6:07pm
post #34 of 34

I agree that saran isn't ideal, and I prefer cellophane because of that. 

But, no, plastic is not "less toxic" than printed paper.  Paper deteriorates when wet, releasing whatever dyes and fibers were used to create it, while plastic remains inert when wet.  Plastic is considered food-safe by the FDA, which means that it is acceptable for contact with food.  I do know some people who use plastic table covers, cutting them to fit. They're thicker than saran and harder to cut with a knife blade--I just find them very slippery to work with when cutting & fitting on the board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%