Corn Allergy

Decorating By Dewgin Updated 8 Feb 2013 , 1:24pm by BakingIrene

Dewgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dewgin Posted 22 May 2012 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone that wants to place an order with me for a first birthday cake and decorated cookies. The issue is, her daughter has a severe corn allergy.
Anyone know of where, online, i can purchase cornstarch free powdered sugar, baking powder (I can make both of these if necessary) and corn syrup free food colorings/icing gels?
Yikes this is going to be a hard one!
Thanks
Gina

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 May 2012 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

Trader Joe's carries corn-free powdered sugar (they use tapioca starch), Whole Foods and most grocery stores should carry corn-free baking powder, and powdered food coloring should work since there are no additives.

Dewgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dewgin Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 7

Would powdered food coloring not have cornstarch? This is a whole new world for me, but I am determined to help this family!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 7

Powdered food coloring only contains sugar and food dyes.

pinkfluffycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffycupcake Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 7

Here's a link to how to make organic food coloring:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-ways-to-make-organic-diy-food-coloring.html

mcici927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcici927 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 9:45am
post #6 of 7

bless you for being determined to help the family. I have a son who has corn allergies and I like to decorate cakes. The daily challenge with buying foods without corn is headache enough, now his first year of trying to bake him a cake without corn extremely frustrating. I noticed corn in the food color just the other day so now I am tryi g gn figure out my next road block. Did the colored powders work for you, or did they have corn starch? 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7

Powdered food colours from LorAnnOils.com under "gourmet"

Baking powder 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (sold with spices) and 1 teaspoon baking soda (make sure it's fresh) = 2 teaspoons

For icing you can also make a meringue buttercream which uses table sugar, egg white, butter, water

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%