3 Questions From A Newbie

Decorating By babybear1003 Updated 22 May 2012 , 9:22pm by kakeladi

babybear1003 Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of making my first tiered cake, and I have a few questions for you.

First, I decided to give a marshmallow fondant recipe a try, but it just calls for marshmallows, powdered sugar, and water. If I substitute some of the water for clear vanilla, will that maybe add a bit more flavor or could that give me problems?

Second, I've read all up on doweling and stacking, but what I'm confused about is whether you put cardboard rounds underneath the smaller layers when stacking the cake. Like, does each layer have it's own cardboard round underneath or do you just put cake on cake?

Third, I plan on making the cake the day before my daughter's party. (It's just family so I'm not too worried if things don't turn out with it being my first cake). The filling recipe I'm using calls for milk and butter. I have a very small fridge that I expect will be filled with party supplies. If anyone can suggest any recipes for me that would not need to be refrigerated, that would be even better. I'm hoping to make a "cookies and cream" filling and a not-so-sweet buttercream icing.

6 replies
idgalpal Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 7

Q1 - Do you mean you want to substitute vanilla for some of the water? I wouldn't do it. If you aren't using clear vanilla it will change the color of your fondant and I don't think you need to mess with the flavor, but that's just my opinion.
Q2 - Yes, you need cardboard rounds under the smaller tiers, if you use dowels and no cardboard, there's nothing to support the dowels.
Q3 - I think you're fine to leave the cake out. I'd put it in a cool place though.
Good luck!

yortma Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 7

I am not a professional, but I have been baking for years, and I may be able to help.

1) it is fine to add vanilla or any extracts to fondant. replace some of the liquid with the extract, or add the extract after the fact. If the fondant is a little too moist and sticky, knead in a little more powdered sugar.

2) there should be a cardboard circle or separator plate under each cake layer to sit on your dowels/straws/support system

3) for a stable cookies and cream filling, I use the whimsical bakehouse buttercream you can find in CC. It tastes like the center of the oreo and is light and fluffy. it has no eggs and is stable at room temp for at least a day or two. I'ts great with a dark chocolate cake, and kids really love it. chop up oreos and mix into the buttercream and use for filling. Without the cookies, it could be used as the thin outer layer under your fondant. It is sweet, but so is fondant, and there is only a thin layer. If you want a less sweet outer frosting, consider an Italian meringue buttercream (ala Mousseline buttercream in the cake bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum). She says it is stable at room temp for 48 hours. Another option is to frost the outside with a chocolate ganache. this is stable for 48 hours, and works well under fondant. HTH, good luck

ReneeFLL Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 7

I always add more flavoring than the recipe calls for. If you add 1 tsp of extra flavoring then reduce your water by a tsp. Adding extra powdered sugar to the fondant because you added more liquid than the recipe called for might affect the fondant. It might be less pliable and stretchy. If using regular vanilla (not clear) you will get a little more of an off white color depending on how much you add. If you don't need a pure white fondant then you will be fine.

HTH

CWR41 Posted 22 May 2012 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybear1003

Second, I've read all up on doweling and stacking, but what I'm confused about is whether you put cardboard rounds underneath the smaller layers when stacking the cake. Like, does each layer have it's own cardboard round underneath or do you just put cake on cake?

Dowel rods and cake boards...
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm
otherwise, the cake will settle through the supports. Each TIER on its own cardboard, not each layer. Supports are required for every 4" of cake height.

metria Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 7
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2012 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 7

..... If I substitute some of the water for clear vanilla, will that maybe add a bit more flavor ...........
You can add vanilla *after* the recipe is finished. Just knead it in.
.......I'm confused...put cardboard rounds underneath the smaller layers when stacking the cake......
I think you mean under each *tier* of cake. Not under each layer icon_smile.gif As others have said, yes each tier needs a cakeboard under it. There has to be something there or the cake will just fall - the dowels will just push thru the cake on top if there is not a cake board or plate there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%