Roses

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 23 May 2012 , 7:27pm by srkmilklady

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:02am
post #1 of 8

I need help. I have watch many videos on gumpaste roses, taken the Wilton class and made lots of them. I need help with getting them to look real and natural. I'm going to post a picture of mine can anyone please give me advice to make them look more like the ones I see here on CC. Thanks! I need to make 50 of them and have 10 made and I'm not happy with any of them. icon_sad.gifhttp://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.197219790316480.43657.197211733650619&type=3

Please copy paste and look at the roses. CC wouldn't load for me

7 replies
Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:14am
post #2 of 8

I think your roses look wonderful! Our own eyes are probably the most critical. The only thing I could see trying is maybe trying to do the center like a buttercream rose - where the very center petals are more curled around so you can't see the center. But even as they are, I think they're great. Everyone has their own style.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:12am
post #3 of 8

I think your roses look very nice and agree with the previous poster about covering the center a bit more. The way I do that is to have that first petal completely surround the wire bud and then I add a first row of three petals overlapping. Then the second row is 5 petals, still overlapping but furled just a bit. Then for the third row, a bit larger petal cutter and furl even more. My avatar picture is from a purse cake I did that was accented with a long stem red gum paste rose. I think I also have a gum paste yellow rose and crystal accented topper wedding cake in my pictures. Most of the cakes I do have fondant roses so most of my pictures on here do not have gum paste but those two do. Hope looking at them will help you see what I mean. HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:58am
post #4 of 8

These are the videos that I used to learn to make a gum paste rose. I love the five petal cutters. Your rose look beautiful. I agree with the other posters try to make your center tighter and thin out your gumpaste a little more especially on the edges of your petals. Play around with your petals a little more by pinching and curling the edges. I have to make a lot of flowers for ten cakes that are due for one party in September. I had an accident with my roses and rose buds tonight. I accidentally knocked off my styro foam that I had my rose buds drying on and broke five of my flowers. Luckily I was able to fix the petals. Seems to take so long just to finish one full gum paste rose.

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 23 May 2012 , 6:49am
post #5 of 8

Thanks you all so much. I did some today taking your advice and they did turn out better. Still need work but they are getting there. And Thanks my family says I always pick apart my work. I just always see things I can improve on. Thanks for all the advice and support.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 May 2012 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 8

In addition to the other suggestions, you may want to get some petal dust and provide some variation of color on the petals.

You are doing a great job!

James81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
James81 Posted 23 May 2012 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimErskine

Thanks you all so much. I did some today taking your advice and they did turn out better. Still need work but they are getting there. And Thanks my family says I always pick apart my work. I just always see things I can improve on. Thanks for all the advice and support.

I agree with the others about the center, they look fabulous though. My family thinks im way too critical on my decorations. I guess I am a little OCD about it but theres nothing wrong with always trying to improve I always say icon_biggrin.gif

Great job thumbs_up.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 8

The lady in these videos makes the most awesome roses using a 5 petal cutter. I have to make 40 roses for a wedding cake in a couple of months and I'm practicing using her method. I'm not quite there yet, but each one is getting better!

Good luck with your roses, I know it can be frustrating sometimes but they say..."practice makes perfect"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%