Why I Wish I Was More Experienced....

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 23 May 2012 , 5:30am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:30am
post #1 of 12

We've had so much going on that I couldn't fully concentrate on this anniversary cake until today (and it's for this coming Sat). I finally cut out of paper the sizes of the cakes that I was planning on making. This was based on a magazine pic w/instructions that my friend had sent me. And I had already enlarged the sizes of the cakes from what the magazine had - but now that I have the paper "cakes" it still seems way too tiny!
The "gift boxes" were to be 9x12, 9x9, 8x7 and 6x6 - stacked a little wonky like real gifts might be. Sooooooo now I'm rethinking it a bit. The only larger rectangular pan I have is a Walmart half-sheet with angled sides - I would have to make 3 cakes to make one "normal" height cake.... but even trimmed straight it would still give me a larger base - maybe larger enough to look more normal. But then I'd need to re-think the top cakes so it would all look right....

I'm really open to any suggestions!!!! (Please help!!)

11 replies
Jennifer353 Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 12

How much cake does your friend need? If the sizes calculated with the serving charts are ok I'd go with what you have already proposed.

Not sure if that helps!

yortma Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 12

I have noticed that cakes tend to "grow" . They look much bigger when stacked, filled and frosted. According to the Wilton serving guide for party size servings (larger than wedding size) conservatively this is 90 servings. How many do you need?

Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 12

I need a minimum of 150 servings - but I was going to make-up the rest with kitchen cake(s). (This is a labor of love btw - they are good friends and I'm only a hobby baker) My friend told me that this is the only "dessert" that will be served and that he'd rather have more than enough than not enough, of course. AND I found out that this will be displayed in the middle of a 6' round table in the middle of the room - so that's another reason I'm afraid that it could be too small.

Apti Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 12

Since you planned on kitchen cakes anyway, stick with your original plan and simply make enough of the kitchen cake to go around. You'll be fine.

Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 12

You don't think it will look too tiny in the middle of that table? All of a sudden 9x12 seems soooooo small.....

dinascakes Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 12

Maybe decorate one of your sheet cakes to go under the other stacked "gift" boxes. I would go bigger too. Especially with the 6' table. HTH Hope everything turns out well for you!

Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

Oh it would be so wonderful if I didn't have to work and run around - I could actually focus on these cakes. I will bring all my worksheets to my son's swimming lesson this afternoon and refigure all the servings with the larger size bottom cake then and see what I need for kitchen cake then. But now I hope I have a large enough support plate for the first tier.... icon_cry.gif

Gale Posted 22 May 2012 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 12

If you have or can borrow a nice cake plateau to set the cake on, it will add even more height to your cake, making the cake seem larger. Depending on what else is going on that 6' table, the cake will not appear small anyway. Good luck.

Wildgirl Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 12

Dh is going to build a rectangular box for me - and I have some silver cake foil to wrap it in.

Time. That's what I need.

kakeladi Posted 22 May 2012 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 12

Good to hear your DH will make you a standicon_smile.gif You will be very surprised at how that will make the whole cake 'pop' icon_smile.gif
I'm sure w/that addition it will be just fine.

One other option would be to make one or two of those 'kitchen' cakes into a pkg(s) and set them around or next to the main cake. Set it at an angle sort of like this: / propped up against the stand or put something under one end of it so it's not flat.

Wildgirl Posted 23 May 2012 , 5:30am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all of your suggestions! It really helped me to think. I am going to make a cut-down half-sheet for the bottom and will leave out one of the smaller top cakes. And if I figured right, the cake will then have enough servings - although I still want to make a kitchen cake so there's plenty (no other dessert at the event) - and since there are several different cake recipes in it, there will be enough if someone wants to try another piece. And extra to take home then too.

Now just to worry about the frosting, stacking and decorating...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%