Can You Bake Things Into Cupcakes?

Baking By erikamj Updated 31 May 2012 , 9:55pm by imagenthatnj

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 22 May 2012 , 2:29am
post #1 of 17

I have a customer that is wanting to know if I can bake some coins or something into cupcakes for her. I don't know if it is possible to bake coins in there because of hygiene issues. Anybody do this?

16 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:58am
post #2 of 17

I would be more concerned about physical injury from someone biting into a cupcake and chomping on an unexpected object. I used to put a small object into my King's Cakes but now I use a piece of dried fruit. (Hopefully) it avoids the risk of real or perceived injury with an attached lawsuit.

clairesey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairesey Posted 22 May 2012 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 17

Why would anyone want coins in their cakes? icon_eek.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairesey

old tradition of something or other ... like they put a coin in a cake, and whoever gets the slice with the coin is lucky.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 17

I wouldn't do it. too much risk of injury. if she really wants something, maybe a piece of candy or dried fruit or something that won't cause bodily harm if bitten into or swallowed! you could shove a gold candy coin in once baked and cooled also and then cover with frosting.

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 22 May 2012 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 17

My mum used to put coins in Christmas puddings...she put them in after it was baked and everyone knew there was coins in it... It was a tradition / luck thing like mentioned above. They were always washed/ sterilized (which still probably wasnt sanitary) but I definately wouldn't do it for someone else. Why don't you suggest that if she wants to put coins in it she do that part herself? So u make her the cakes and she can do what she likes after that.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 23 May 2012 , 11:15am
post #7 of 17

We use to do the coins in Christmas pudding (I believe it originated in medievil times in England). As the years went by the currency change and we started to wrap in foil. Now I only know 1 person who continues the tradition and they use food grade replica coins. Everyone knew they were there and were careful eating it but these days would substitute as suggested.

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 23 May 2012 , 11:48am
post #8 of 17

Many years ago when we were kids, my mom and aunts would bake coins (money) into our birthday cakes, back then the largest was 25 cents and all of us would hope to be the one that got the 25 cent in our piece of cake, there would be a variety of 1, 5, 10 cent but only one 25. They would bake the money in the cake and the money was wrapped in parchment or waxed paper. They also informed all of us kids about it before we started eating so we would be careful, i think we pulled our pieces apart looking for the money before we actually ate our cake.

clairesey Posted 23 May 2012 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:

old tradition of something or other ... like they put a coin in a cake, and whoever gets the slice with the coin is lucky.

You're absoloutely right, it's something we do here in the UK with Christmas pud...in fact the only thing that would ever tempt me to eat Christmas pudding would be the possibility of getting some money!

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 24 May 2012 , 6:27am
post #10 of 17

Thanks. I talked her out of it. I had told her in the beginning I was afraid of somebody getting hurt with it as well as how sanitary a coin would be.

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 30 May 2012 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 17

Wow, i thought i was going to open this and see a scrumptious idea for baking some sweets or cookies inside of cupcakes like i have been seeing all over but coins? Even if it was safe, it seems like the cupcakes would take like metal. Yuk!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2012 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyHogan

Wow, i thought i was going to open this and see a scrumptious idea for baking some sweets or cookies inside of cupcakes like i have been seeing all over but coins? Even if it was safe, it seems like the cupcakes would take like metal. Yuk!

Me too Lacy! I was looking for yummy candy and clever ideas for baking things into cupcakes. I would not do that. If she just wants one to be special. Why not bake sprinkles or something into 1 cupcake and that is the lucky cupcake. So many edible options to choose from.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:04am
post #13 of 17

Mimi, I still put babies in my King Cakes and cupcakes, but I think people know to look for the baby. It does worry me though.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 10:58am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorymaid

They would bake the money in the cake and the money was wrapped in parchment or waxed paper

This is how it was done when I was younger as well.

clairesey Posted 31 May 2012 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Mimi, I still put babies in my King Cakes and cupcakes, but I think people know to look for the baby. It does worry me though.

You put what in your who now?? icon_eek.gif

Is this an American thing.....babies in cakes??

c
x

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

You put what in your who now?? icon_eek.gif

Is this an American thing.....babies in cakes??

c
x

Very popular in new Orleans,Louisiana. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake You use a plastic baby figure hidden in the cake.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 May 2012 , 9:55pm
post #17 of 17

In a few countries in South America, the charms attached to ribbons in the wedding cake are still used.

http://jewelrybyrhonda.com/webpages/cakecharmmainpage.html

But they're not baked in. They're put in when the cake is assembled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%