Need A Recipe For An Amazing Scratch Chocolate Cake

Baking By BlueSkyGirl Updated 4 Jun 2012 , 2:17am by yortma

BlueSkyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueSkyGirl Posted 21 May 2012 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 26

Hi Everyone,

Anyone got a recipe for an AMAZING chocolate cake from scratch?

25 replies
zetasilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zetasilver Posted 21 May 2012 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 26

Hersheys 'perfectly chocolate' chocolate cake. Recipe can be found here on cc.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 May 2012 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 26

Lot of decorators on this site , use this one. i have also. and it is delicious. A lot of decorators use the one on the herseys can, but uses sour cream instead of the milk. Ron ben Isreal has one. It is similiar to the hersey can. So just google for that recipe . This recipe is delicious also, and also sweetapolita has a great one(similiar to Ron's and also the hersey one. It is delicious also. hth

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 21 May 2012 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 26

I vote for Hershey's as well. I've made both the Perfectly Chocolate cake as well as the Black Magic cake, and both are fabulous!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 26

Hershey's really is good. The chocolate frosting is good as well. Use the best chocolate you can find. I and others add a little coffee instead of some of the water. It adds a lot of depth of flavor to any chocolate cake. FYI - the batter is very runny.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 26

The Hershey's cake is good and very easy, but it doesn't compare to this one I found on this site. This cake is hands down the best chocolate cake I've ever had. It is definitely a lot more work than the Hershey's cake though.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/old-fashioned-chocolate-cake-3

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 26

Another vote for Hershey's Chocolate Cake, but not made with Hershey's cocoa...

For me, this cake was just ok, not AMAZING, until I tried it with different cocoas.

My favorite: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bensdorp-dutch-process-cocoa-16-oz

I also sub sour cream for the milk, and coffee for the water...

This recipe also makes AMAZING cupcakes...made some recently w/ killer white choc. frosting.

FlourPots Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslawcat

The Hershey's cake is good and very easy, but it doesn't compare to this one I found on this site. This cake is hands down the best chocolate cake I've ever had. It is definitely a lot more work than the Hershey's cake though.

ooh I had that one at the top of my list to try, but I got it from another site: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/05/old-fashioned-chocolate-layer-cake/

there's a discrepancy...
the one here lists 1-1/2 tsp baking cocoa
the one I saved lists 1-1/2 tsp baking soda

I think it's supposed to be soda...
What do you use when you make it?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 May 2012 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 26

The Double Chocolate Layer Cake from Epicurious is very good. That is one of the highest rated recipes on their website.

coleslawcat Posted 21 May 2012 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:

ooh I had that one at the top of my list to try, but I got it from another site: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/05/old-fashioned-chocolate-layer-cake/

there's a discrepancy...
the one here lists 1-1/2 tsp baking cocoa
the one I saved lists 1-1/2 tsp baking soda

I think it's supposed to be soda...
What do you use when you make it?

I'm sorry, yes that recipe has 2 typos, I make so often I forgot about it. The first is that it is 12 tbsp of butter not 1 1/2. The second is the baking cocoa, yes it is supposed to say baking soda. It is so delicious! I keep trying out new chocolate cake recipes and I always end up coming back to this one.

FlourPots Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:11am
post #11 of 26

Thanks!
(The butter amount is corrected in the comment section by the way, but not the soda...)

I can't wait to try it...can I ask what brand of cocoa you use for this?

redding86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redding86 Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:21am
post #12 of 26

I've personally tried the hershey cake recipe and didn't care for it. The only chocolate cake recipes that I have tried and do like are Ina Garten's chocolate cake and Simply Scratch's cake recipe. Both recipes call for a cup of freshly brewed coffee though, which I personally do not like the taste of coffee so I only added about 1/4 cup and I think the coffee helps bring out the chocolate flavor, that and having good coco powder.
Happy Baking! icon_smile.gif

coleslawcat Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:41am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Thanks!
(The butter amount is corrected in the comment section by the way, but not the soda...)

I can't wait to try it...can I ask what brand of cocoa you use for this?

I have been using Dutch process cocoa from Sprouts Farmers Market (a great grocery chain in the SW). I moved a few months ago and that's what I'm still using, but when I run out I will have to find another option. I'm guessing that's not much help to you, it's not help to me either.

FlourPots Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:18am
post #14 of 26

No, no...that's fine...really. I was just curious.
I'll use the Bensdorp, which I love, or...I've been thinking of ordering some Valhrona. I'd like to have at least 3 go-to cocoas...I'm worried everything I make that calls for cocoa will taste too similar if I always use the same brand.

Thanks for the replies icon_smile.gif

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 22 May 2012 , 3:38am
post #15 of 26

I found that using high quality cocoa powder (I now use Valrhona most of the time, but I'm sure other high quality brands are also excellent) instead of Hershey's made a huge difference in the flavor of my chocolate cake. I also always use coffee in it, as you can't taste the coffee at all but it adds depth of flavor.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:08am
post #16 of 26
Quote:

once i read this recipe, my eyes just about popped out. it's the exact cake i have in the oven right now. the recipe is a copy of America's Test Kitchen's recipe/episode "Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake" ... almost word for word except with those mentioned typos. i'm a little disappointed that the recipe was copied without giving credit to them. i pay for my subscription to them and i feel it's worth every penny.

it is a lot of work for this cake though! i am exhausted from washing all the dishes! delicious though!

http://www.americastestkitchen.com

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:39am
post #17 of 26

This is my fav!!!

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/wacky-cake-2

My mouth is watering just thinking about it

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 27 May 2012 , 10:35pm
post #18 of 26

I've made the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake before too and love, love, love it. But if I remember right it does not fill up my 9x13 pan to the appropriate 7 cups of batter needed. Does anyone know how much this recipe yields? Has anyone added the extra batter to make the amount of batter a 9x13 should have and did the cake still turn out ok? I'm sure not quite as "fluffy" though.

tmelrose Posted 27 May 2012 , 10:38pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Lot of decorators on this site , use this one. i have also. and it is delicious. A lot of decorators use the one on the herseys can, but uses sour cream instead of the milk. Ron ben Isreal has one. It is similiar to the hersey can. So just google for that recipe . This recipe is delicious also, and also sweetapolita has a great one(similiar to Ron's and also the hersey one. It is delicious also. hth

icer101, what does subbing the milk for sour cream do for the recipe?

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 27 May 2012 , 11:08pm
post #20 of 26

I use Beatty's chocolate cake. It is moist and delish!!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 28 May 2012 , 8:09am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

icer101, what does subbing the milk for sour cream do for the recipe?

Makes it more moist

tmelrose Posted 29 May 2012 , 6:36pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks Tails.

In regards to my previous comment, has anyone added the extra batter and it still turned out ok? I don't believe the recipe yields 7 cups of batter as needed for the 9x13 pan. Any response appreciated. Thanks!

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 29 May 2012 , 11:43pm
post #23 of 26

I make the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake and instead of water I use all coffee. I can't even tell it's in there and everyone loves it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 May 2012 , 12:10am
post #24 of 26

There is a thread about this already on this site. I read it several months ago. They say they use the sour cream instead of the milk, (not for moistness) but it helps keep it from sinking in the middle. Lots of decorators are saying this. I just got back on c/c . hth Here is one thread, there are several on this topic. hth google , something like, why do people use sour cream instead on milk on the herseys choclate cake recipe on cake central. Use you own words to make it shorter. ha!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-709844.html

BlueSkyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:47am
post #25 of 26

Wow, thanks to everyone that replied! I'm gonna hit the kitchen and get back you y'all!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:17am
post #26 of 26

I have made the Hershey's cake (the one on the back of the cocoa can) several times, and have found it to be somewhat dense, fudgy and too moist. It also tends to sink down in the middle. After trying at least a dozen different chocolate cakes one weekend, I found the best to be the Deluxe Devil's food cake on the Softasilk cake flour box. It is the one I always use and is easy and consistently delicious. It is very chocolatey and moist, but not dense at all. I make 1.5 times the recipe for an 11 x 15 sheet cake. Since a 9x 12 is less than 2/3 the area of an 11 x 14, there should be plenty for a 9 x 12 with a single recipe. I use the Hershey's special dark cocoa. After reading the praises of the old fashioned chocolate cake, I did a side by side comparison. The old fashioned chocolate cake has the addition of melted chocolate as well as cocoa. Even so, it was less chocolatey, and a little dry. It was definitely good, but the softasilk cake remains my favorite (so far!). HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%