Can You Cook A 8" X 4" And 10" X4" Cake

Decorating By Sparkmanr Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 7:54pm by Sparkmanr

Sparkmanr Posted 21 May 2012 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 4

I am supposed to be making my husbands retirement cake. I bought a 8x4" and a 10"4" baking pans. I of course forgot to buy the core since it wasn't on my list of things I needed to get. So now I am wondering since I haven't baked a cake this thick before in one pan if it's possible to do without the core. Does anyone have any experience with this or should I only fill it part way and bake it in waves till I get the 4 inches for each cake? I work full time and am really new at the cake making business. I have a ton of in laws coming and want this to be perfect. Please help!!!!!????

3 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 21 May 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 4

Since you'd likely want some filling in those cakes, I suggest that you just bake 2" layers in each pan, twice. You could then torte & fill those layers or just leave them at 2" and put a layer of filling or buttercream in between.

It's very hard to get such thick cakes to bake evenly.

I never bake in anything over a 3" pan and I always insert several flower nails as "cores" in those. The nails are too short for 4" pans and may tip over if covered with batter, making a real problem in the baked cake.

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2012 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

I agree w/BlakesCakes.
Baking in deep pans seldom works out well.

Sparkmanr Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 4

Why do they sell those pans then? I guess I wasted my money. I did end up baking them as you said though and the cake came out great. Well it's only my 6th truly decorated cake. What do you think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%