Florida - New Business Requirements

Business By 61999 Updated 31 May 2012 , 3:37pm by Bambi75

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 21 May 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

I am starting my home baking business in FLORIDA (se have the Cottage Food Act) and I don't know where to start:

LLC or sole proprietor? What is the difference is taxes for each?

Where do I get insurance, how much of it, how much does it cost?

Where/how do I get safe food handler certificate?

What other licenses do I need?

There is just so much informaiton on the internet I don't know where to start. If I just get started I am sure I can figure the next steps out.

Any advice?

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 May 2012 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61999

LLC or sole proprietor? What is the difference is taxes for each?

If you don't elect a type of business you will automatically be considered a sole prop, but I recommend creating an LLC to help protect you from liability. When you create the LLC you will be taxed as a sole prop unless you specifically request a different type of taxation. I also recommend talking with an accountant (if you don't have accounting experience) and setting up QuickBooks to track your income and expenses.

Quote:
Quote:

Where do I get insurance, how much of it, how much does it cost?

State Farm and The Hartford are both popular choices for business liability insurance, premiums are usually $400-500/year for ~$1M of coverage.

Quote:
Quote:

What other licenses do I need?

Depending on where you live you may or may not need a municipal business license, contact your town government to find out what you need.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 21 May 2012 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 4

In Florida you don't need any food type licenses OR certificates. All you need is an occupational license (now called business tax receipt) for the city you live in AND the counties in which you want to sell.

Create an LLC or an S-Corporation (www.sunbiz.org can help you with the business end of things) to protect you in case you're sued. Either way, you 'll be taxed at your personal rate until your business is huge.

Insurance...any agent can help you. I have a million dollar liability policy (probably overkill) and its $525/yr.

Dept of Agriculture website can answer other questions about the Law.

Bambi75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bambi75 Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 4

I have attached a link to a PDF that may answer some of your questions and also tells you where you can go for further information.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/CottageFoodAdvisorySeptember2011.pdf

I hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%